Return to [ 21 | September | 2004 ]

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:25:15 PDT7
From: jbrush@aros.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: OS Clone\Backup, Was Looking forward to the new & improved installer)

>> According to the menu I just checked, v6.5.

>The most recent version released that I know of is 6.13.

Yes I know. That is why I pointed out that I just checked the menu. I know
its got to be wrong, but that is what is says. Jan would have to explain that
because I don't use it anymore. In my mind, it was around version 5.*
when I tried the clone feature and found that it didn't work.

>I don't recall, and I'm not technically inclined, anyway. However, here's
>the bottom line: Zip and Xcopy work at the file level. DFSEE images (or
>Partition Magic or Drive Image or GHOST images) work at the bit & sector
>level. That is what you need, if you want to insure an exact duplication,
>and picking up *whatever* may be there in the partition.

Yep, they both back up every file, I just don't need an exact duplicate. Can't
really imagine who would actually have to have one, but everyone does things
differently. :-) I don't know of any "whatever" being out there that I would
need. When I do something that mucks up a file or directory, or I need a DLL,
or just whatever, I simply go to the xcopied parititon, or get it out of the
zip archive. Its just too simple to bother doing it any other way, and its
free :-)

I think it dates to a few bad experiences of having believe that I had a clone
backup, but when I restored it, not only was it not a valid clone, it
destroyed everything, which is why I decided I didn't need anything quite so
extravagent. Xcopy copies all the files, so that works for me. The best part
of OS/2 is having all the choices and options. The second best part is that
its so simple to fix it and correct problems that its easy to maintain and
keep backups of a myriad of types.

Thanks,

John

Return to [ 21 | September | 2004 ]