Return to [ 04 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:44:17 PST8
From: Benedict G. Archer <bga0@sbcglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: BACKAGAIN/2000 differential backups

In , on 04/04/2006
at 02:14 PM, "Steven Levine" said:

>In <20060404131959-35486-7@scoug.com>, on 04/04/06
> at 01:20 PM, Benedict G. Archer said:

>>A recent failure combined with much
>>more data to archive is prompting me to be more disciplined.

>That's the usual incentive. ;-)

>>Following
>>suggestions in the Backagain/2000 Pro manual I'm using a full backup at a
>>fairly long interval (maybe monthly) with differential backups much more
>>frequently (few days or sooner).

>This is one of the backup processes I use.

>>But what I'm finding is that differential
>>backups take just as long as full backups and use just as much tape.

>Very odd. Travan tapes are excruciatingly slow, but that does not
>explain this.

>You need to do a bit of analysis. The obvious thing to do is look at the
>backup catalog and see if it contains files that should not be there.
>Are there any of these?

Okay. Just did a test differential backup again, and yes it looks like a full backup with all files and all archive bits set. And before I did that, I verified that the defined backup set is differential. Then if I look at the tape with the device tool, it has the same byte content as the tape with the full backup, about 2.5 Gbytes. BTW, I had understood how the four backup types read and set archive bits before I started all this. But something's wrong. Is the differential backup supposed to be on the same tape as the full?

>>I've verified that the full backup does set the archive bit as it's
>>supposed to, but the differential backup doesn't seem to look at it.

>How do you know this? Is this based on inspecting the catalog content?

Yes, now it is.

>Are you sure you did not select copy rather than differential?

Yes. I'm running defined backup sets. Here's a segment of one.

//---------------------------------------------------------------
// Back Again/2000 Workstation Edition v4.10
// Backup Set : HJdiff.BST
// Last updated on : Sunday, April 02, 2006 at 11:44 AM
//
//---------------------------------------------------------------

[General]
Name = HJdiff
SetType = Backup
Version = 1040
SystemFiles = On
HiddenFiles = On
EmptyFiles = On
OfflineFiles = Off
Registry = Off
Security = On
ActiveDirectory = Off
RetenMedia = Off
PreEjectMedia = Off
PostEjectMedia = On
Type = Differential
Groom = Off
SaveCatalog = On
EraseMedia = Off
AutoCompare = No
Compression = Fast
Restricted = Off

[Device_0]
Type = Scsi Tape Drive
DeviceNum = 0
HWComp = Disabled

>Steven

I had a lot of old catalogs that I deleted. Did that do something?

Ben

Return to [ 04 | April | 2006 ]