Return to [ 01 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 20:30:12 PST8
From: "Larry Tawa" <laror2004@speakeasy.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Lenovo Thinkpad sale!

Colin,

In <151201.19.42.34.15.03.2006@constellation.carrier>, on 03/15/2006
at 07:38 PM, Colin Campbell said:

>I saw an ad in (I think) Monday's LA Times about big discounts on
>Thinkpads until March 20. I found the same offers at Lenovo.com.

Always sales. Query: Is that the model you want?

>I was looking at which notebook would work well with OS/2, and it looks
>like the T43p is preferred, for audio, Broadcom gigabit NIC, and ATI
>Radeon/FireGL support. (I wonder if a T43 could be made to work?)

Preferred? See below.
snip

>I know the 2200BG works for OS/2; does anyone kmow about this other
>Intel wireless NIC?

You need to follow the OS/2 wireless and the genmac-user mailing lists.

>What are your impressions of these machines / offers?

I am not particularly attracted to a T43. :)

I bought my T42 direct from IBM about one year ago after comparing to the
T43 series. Now what would I do? Good question: I actually bought two
*new* T42 in the past 3 weeks via ebay as close out sales - the R9U
tonight! - some very good deals. The T42 is a better deal IMO.

2379-R8U
2379-R9U

Both are 15"; the R8U is XGA - for mom (she wants a new notebook and not
my old T30); the R9U is SXGA with 2 GB RAM with full 3 year IBM warranty.

I do not need PCI Express graphic bus interface; AGP OK for my needs. The
T43 compared to a comparable T42 is 5 to 10% faster. I still prefer the
T42 over the T43. Bottom line: only you can tell me what fits your needs.
You may want to read the thinkpads.com forum for a while before purchasing
a ThinkPad.

Now the T60, that's another story!

Regards.

Larry