Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:08:37 PST8
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

Content Type: text/plain

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:11:32 PST8, Steven Levine wrote:

>This is generally good advice, but you need to take individual situations
>into account.

OK, but I think that entirely tooooo much swirl has been occuring over Zdenek's
installation problems. I think what I offered was the most sure-fire way to make it work, if
it was going to work at all.

>> 4. Load DFSee from a CD. Use it to eliminate the Windows partition on
>>your SATA drive. Make it all free space
>
>If one has dfsee, I recommend using it to install bootmananger and create
>the volumes and clean up the disk structures. This maximizes the chances
>that LVM will have no problems with the drive.

Not necessarily true here. The following is my exact experience with DFSee:
1.) It deleted the Windows partition and made it free space
2.) It created a new logical partition, extending over the entire hard drive,
just as I specified
3.) It warned me not to create a volume and assign a drive letter. It warned
me to use LVM to do that

>> D. Even when ECS recognizes the SATA drive, you will not be able to use
>>LVM (on the installation CD), unless you first get rid of the Windows
>>partition on it and make it all free space.
>
>Again, not true. Dfsee can, without data loss, make the changes needed to
>make the partitioning compatible with what LVM requires. Many here and
>elsewhere have added eCS to disk without breaking or deleting either the
>existing Windows installations or the recovery partitions. It's up to the
>individual user to decide what they want to do with the Windows data on
>the drive.

Well, you are repeating what I said here. LVM cannot be used first. You must first use
DFSee to make the hard drive compatible with with LVM requires. And that's is what I
said!! Again, my experience was:
1.) Even after ECS recognized my SATA drive (because of the Dani 1.7.5
drivers), LVM WOULD NOT create the partitions and volumes that I wanted
2.) I had to use DFSee first, to get the entire hard drive to free space, then
1 logical, unformated partition
3.) Finally, I had to use LVM, as warned by DFSee, to create the volume
and volume letter assignment

And by the way, you have to break the Windows partition, if it extends over the entire
hard drive. Other wise you will have no room for the ECS installation. I assumed that,
since Zdenek bought a computer with Windows loaded that the Window installation
(NTFS) extends over the entire hard drive. It's not the same as it you have Windows on
only a portion of the hard drive and you want to place ECS on some other, free
available portion. I surmised that with Zdenek's new computer purchase, that was not
the case. Perhaps I'm wrong.
HCM

Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]