Return to [ 22 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:46:01 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Keyring/2 -- last ver., run under eCS

Content Type: text/plain

Are any of you Keyring/2 users ? Was there a general
Reg. Key Unlock posted at the time the 2.2 .wpi was
released as freeware ?

I have my registered version 1.13 or 1.14 still
running on the tower under Warp 4, with no problems.
But I've had all kinds of problems trying to get the
final 2.2 release running under eCS. Upon invoking
the program, the VxRexx and KR/2 items would appear in
the eCenter, the desktop would immediately lock up
tight, no kbd. or mouse response anymore, and I was
looking at a dirty flag Reset.

I wrote to Kevin McCoy, who told me he was out of the
KR/2 biz, cautioned me about mismatched .DLLs, and
referred me to the development team in Japan that has
taken over the project. So I wrote to them, and got a
list of the correct .DLLs back. (Not all of which
happen to be in the 2.2 .wpi, btw.) With this info,
it looks like I have managed to avert the system
crashes when I try to run the program. But I still
can't run it. There have been other errors also, I
think, but mainly it keeps requesting the Reg. Key,
and when I input either of the ones I have, the
"hardhat" screen dithers endlessly without letting me
in. It won't recognize my Master Password, and tells
me that my database files have expired. And finally,
it says that the Reg. Key is Invalid.

In most cases, when a program goes freeware, a
universal Reg. Key or equivalent fix is released along
with it. Perhaps I missed this, at the time. If
anyone has such a key, please advise. (I also have
the Blowfish encryption module, which was
personalized, and maybe that is a complicating factor.
KR/2 could be run without it, but becomes compromised
to the point that it is not worth using.) There
doesn't seem to be anything downloadable at the KR/2
site anymore. I thought I checked Hobbes, but I'll
check again.

Jordan

Return to [ 22 | April | 2006 ]