Return to [ 21 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:58:12 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

Content Type: text/plain

--- Harry Motin wrote:

> Somewhere between version 4.04 (my previous version)
> and version 6.00 RSJ
> changed the way it recognizes your CD/DVD drive
> unit. Previously, with version 4.04
> and below, I had to get an update of the "cddr.inf"
> file, if my CD unit was not listed there.

That's interesting, Harry. At the moment, I am
running RSJ 5.52 on the Shuttle (plain vanilla IDE,
Pioneer 108 DVD burner), and some considerably earlier
version on my all-SCSI tower desktop. That cddr.inf
file always was a weak link. IIRC, they told me that
the DVD burner -- unlike a cd burner, for some reason
-- *should* get detected and work, irrespective of the
.inf file and whatever it contains. This has never
been the case, though, in my experience. Always had
to tailor that file, sometimes in ways that looked
more like Voodoo to me than anything technically
apparent. (In fact, I think we swapped some lines
from the .inf file once upon a time, trying to run
this down . . . ?)

> Now, however, with version 6.00 the "CD Writer
> Control" recognizes my unit, because it
> lists the correct unit under the "Detect" button.
> When I tried to revert back to version 5.53,
> it did not recognize the CD/DVD unit.
> HCM

I was about to suggest downlevelling to 5.52, but if
you never had a 5-series RSJ working with your
setup, that might not fly. I think 5.05 was the
first version to add dvd capability (which I have yet
to use: still do all my dvd stuff on the Dark Side,
though I've been meaning to investigate that
third-party frontend that is supposed to offer a shell
for this and for DVDDAO). {*}

What burner are you using ? I'm pretty sure that a
5.05 .inf file that worked for you could be used just
fine with 5.52. I get the occasional, obscure error,
but very successful results overall, nothing like what
you are reporting. I haven't noticed anything I need
listed for the versions later than 5.52.

Jordan

Note to Steven: I obtained an updated version of the
file behind what I had needed to OCR, so I can just
reprint that, and my need for Clara or any other OCR
has taken a nosedive again. The above topic {*} is of
much more interest to me for a possible demo . . .
provided Jerry doesn't cover it first. But probably
no sooner than July or Aug.

Return to [ 21 | April | 2006 ]