Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:02:56 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

In <444B82F1.10507@verizon.net>, on 04/23/06
at 06:38 AM, Zdenek Jizba said:

>No. Creating the boot update diskette was one of the tasks down the list
>of things to do.

This means that you don't need it. You were able to install, although not
100% successfully yet, with the drivers on the 1.2R CD. These are at the
1.7.3 level.

>True. I did originally manage to define partitions using Dfsee, but I
>was never able to
>format them-- not for lack of trying.

As I have mentioned a few times before, LVM is picky. Usually a bit of
work with dfsee can normalize the partition layout and LVM will have no
further problems. From the dfsee menus

Mode=FDISK->Cleanup Partition Tables

and

Mode=FDISK->Fix CHS Value to Geometry

are usually sufficient.

>I had
>deleted all of those partitions (easy to do with UBUNTU).

Deleting partitions is easy. Creating ones that LVM will accept is harder.
Unforturnately lots of software plays fast and loose with the standards,
such as they are. LVM, being an overly protective product of IBM, simply
refused to work with partitioning it does not expect. Other OSs have been
know to blow away perfectly good installations. It's a tradeoff.

>>> DHCPSTRT continuing to try in background
>>> Press enter to continue.
>>> (At this point I let the screen blink for over 1/2 hour
>>> before turning off the computer.)
>>
>>Did you ever press enter?
>>

>Yes I could not have seen any blinking until after pressing enter.

Odd. I usually get a blinking cursor at the end of the press enter
message. Were you referring to the other multicolored blinking?

>So what is NIC recognition problem (issue?) and how can it be fixed? More
>to the point why do I have such problems?

You probably have such problems because you bought the motherboard without
checking if the on board NIC had known, working OS/2 drivers. As a long
time OS/2 user, you should know that OS/2 does not support everything that
is manufactured. The problem itself easy enough to fix once it is fully
understood. Take a glance a Sheridan's thread, which is a classic case.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 23 | April | 2006 ]