Return to [ 06 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:30:53 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: SCOUG Help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: BACKAGAIN/2000 differential backups

In <200604070132.1frJAt5Sk3Nl36t0@mx-collie.atl.sa.earthlink.net>, on
04/06/06
at 10:19 PM, Benedict G. Archer said:

HI,

Back to the list.

>>Set the archive bits for your test data and run baii.exe from the command
>>line and do the backup and exit from baii.exe. If you have done
>>everything right,

>I think I've followed your instructions to the letter but when I attempt
>a command line backup from the directory where I have installed your file
>using the command (see below) the progress window opens, nothing happens
>and I have to kill the process from TOPS.

You did something, but it was not what I asked you to do. Note that I
said to run baii.exe, not clback.exe. I did not prepare clback for
testing, so I have no idea if it should or should not work. I do know
that the clback you ran had absolutely nothing to do with the test kit I
sent. It does not even contain a clback.exe.

>clback -ir K:\j504\* -type full -d \M:\fulltst0.dat -name
>C:\ba2kws_test\testset.bst

I'd have to test this but if you really used this command line, I can
understand why it might fail. The values you specified for -d and -name
don't look remotely close to correct.

>The documentation for command line usage is pretty sparse so I suspect I
>don't have a correct command line invocation.

It is? Why did you even bother to try this then? Seems to me it just
slows down the process.

>None of the file archive bits had been cleared, but I think
>it ran using my baii, not yours.

If you started baii from the directory that contained the baii.exe I sent
you, that's the one you used. You can always check this with pstat or
top.

>Should I uninstall ba2k from the maintenance partition and try again from
>there?

Why bother? As I said in my e-mail, I set up the test so that there was
no need for this. As you might guess, I even tested it to make sure it
really works.

I do assume that your LIBPATH contains a dot before the reference to the
BA2KWS directory.

>How do you put up with all us guys who don't seem to know much?

This is not a problem. Everyone has their own set of abilities. I will
admit that I do sometimes wonder why folks tend to wander off in random
directions rather than just asking questions to clarify what they don't
understand or what does not seem to be quite what they expected.

A curious nature is a good thing, but without some organization it rarely
produces much in the way of good results.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 06 | April | 2006 ]