Return to [ 24 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:18:42 PST8
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

Content Type: text/plain

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:46:03 PST8, Steven Levine wrote:

>Unlikely. More likely, it was related to your desire to create a JFS
>volume with the intent of installing eCS to it. eCS/OS2 does not support
>this. It did not occur to me that you might be trying to do this until
>Jan reminded me that the warning occurs only for JFS partitions.

OK, the above is NOT true. My intent was to create a JFS volume STRICTLY for
storage data. I am well aware that you cannot create a JFS bootable volume. In fact, in
both my (failed) LVM attempts and my DFSee success I specifically selected a non
bootable, LVM aware partition. See below for additional details.

I have two other drives, both SCSI, and I have HPFS and JFS volumes on them. The
JFS volumes store programs and data. I wanted more data storage (on the SATA). I
eventually intend to install the ECS 1.2 upgrade over my existing 1.14 version
installation on my first SCSI drive. But that comes later! I have now configured my hard
drives exactly the way I want as follows:

1. Drive 1, SCSI, 73.6 GB:
G: 31 GB, JFS, Data Storage
F: 31 GB, JFS, Data Storage
C: 9 GB, Programs
E: 2 GB, HPFS, ECS 1.14 installation
Boot Manager

2. Drive 2, SCSI, 34 GB:
D: 34 GB, JFS, Data Storage

3. Drive 3, SATA, 200 GB
H: 200 GB, JFS, Data Storage

It was that last drive, above, that I had difficulty creating. It came with the (new) computer
and it had a Windows XP NTFS installation on it. The NTFS partition extended over
almost the entire drive. There was a very small amount of free space (according to
LVM).

Now, because I am not familar with the DFSee interface, yes it is true that I did not
describe things in terms of what DFSee uses. I still cannot do that. However, let me
repeat what I thought I asked DFSee to do:
1. Remove the existing NTFS partition and make it free space. That
would make the entire drive free space

2. Create a new logical partition on the entire hard drive

And I had intended to have DFSee create a new volume on the partition and assign a
drive letter to it. But as I stated DFSee warned that it could not do that. Instead, I used
LVM to do it, after I completed steps 1 and 2, above.

After I finished with DFSee and LVM I then formatted the drive as JFS. The end result is
what I wanted and is described under "Drive 3", above.

The above is as thorough an explanation of what I wanted and what I did.
HCM

Return to [ 24 | April | 2006 ]