Return to [ 24 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 05:17:21 PST8
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

Content Type: text/plain

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:53:20 PST8, Steven Levine wrote:

> Are you sure you
>quoted the messages exactly as dfsee displayed them?

Probably not exactly. But, pretty close. The essence of the message was that I should
not "create a volume" or "assign a volume letter" and that this had to be done in LVM.

I was surprised by that message. I went on to the next screen, then thought I'd better go
back and re-read the message. I believe that I had to abort DFSee and start over again
to see the message. I could not simply go backwards! Anyway, I aborted, started over
and got the same message again.

At the time, I surmised that it was caused by my previous many attempts to delete and
the then remake the partition, using LVM. In other words, rightly or wrongly I attributed
these DFSee messages as caused by my previous use of LVM. Those LMV attempts
were as follows:
1. I deleted the Windows NTFS partition and turned it into free space; it
initially appeared as though I was successful in doing this, but that was later revealed to
be a lie
2. I then tried to set up a new partition and volume. LVM balked at either
attempt, saying the partition (free space) was unusable (something like that)
3. I saved my results in LVM, which at this point appeared as though I had
created all free space on the SATA
4. When I reopened LVM, it told me that there was a problem on the
SATA drive; I now had the NTFS partition back and no free space

I was never able to get past all of this with LVM. So, I assumed that LVM partially
messed up stuff for DFSee.
HCM

Return to [ 24 | April | 2006 ]