Return to [ 27 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:35:46 PST8
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Question about using Router / Access Point

84
--=====================_2348294==_.ALT
Sheridan makes a good point. I find that the system comes up MUCH
faster when I leave the cable modem ON. There is a STANDBY button
on top of the Motorola SB5101 Surfboard, and I use it.
These days, I simply push that button, when powering DOWN/UP the rest
of the home network (computer(s) and router). Seems to be fast enough
so that I'm connected by the end of the boot process.
I like the idea that I'm completely disconnected when I think I'm OFF.
We go away for weeks at a time and I have only to remove power from
the the cable modem to be completely OFF -- no electron flow.
I put only the answering machine on the UPS (so it will keep better time).
-- Steve
+++++++++++++++++++
On 4/26/06, Sheridan wrote, in part:
>I, too, have Adelphia as my ISP. Two things:
>
>1) I had registered the Motorola modem with Adelphia when I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. About two months ago they sent me a new RCA modem to replace mine (it is mine at no cost) because they are upgrading their system and the old modem was a DOCSIS 1.0 and the new one is DOCSIS 2.0.
>
>2) I shut down my computers at night but leave the cable modem and old SMC Barricade router on 24/7. (That way I don't have to switch them on when a computer is turned on. Not all computers are in the same room.) I don't have drops in service and the IP address acquired via DHCP had not changed since I bought the Motorola modem. It did change when I connected the RCA modem but hasn't changed since.
>
>Perhaps this info gives another route of thinking. I do have a wired system not "air mail" though.
>
>Not to brag, I have had cable service for about 7 years and I can count on one hand, with fingers left over, the number of times I couldn't reach the Net due to Comcast/Adelphia problems. Maybe I got on a lucky node.
>
>Sheridan
--=====================_2348294==_.ALT

Sheridan makes a good point.  I find that the system comes up MUCH

faster when I leave the cable modem ON.  There is a STANDBY button

on top of the Motorola SB5101 Surfboard, and I use it.

These days, I simply push that button, when powering DOWN/UP the rest

of the home network (computer(s) and router).  Seems to be fast
enough

so that I'm connected by the end of the boot process.

I like the idea that I'm completely disconnected when I think I'm OFF.

We go away for weeks at a time and I have only to remove power from

the the cable modem to be completely OFF  -- no electron flow.

I put only the answering machine on the UPS (so it will keep better
time).

 -- Steve

+++++++++++++++++++

On 4/26/06, Sheridan wrote, in part:

I, too, have Adelphia as my
ISP.  Two things:

1) I had registered the Motorola modem with Adelphia when I bought it 2
or 3 years ago.  About two months ago they sent me a new RCA modem
to replace mine (it is mine at no cost) because they are upgrading their
system and the old modem was a DOCSIS 1.0 and the new one is DOCSIS
2.0.

2) I shut down my computers at night but leave the cable modem and old
SMC Barricade router on 24/7.  (That way I don't have to switch them
on when a computer is turned on.  Not all computers are in the same
room.)  I don't have drops in service and the IP address acquired
via DHCP had not changed since I bought the Motorola modem.  It did
change when I connected the RCA modem but hasn't changed since.

Perhaps this info gives another route of thinking.  I do have a
wired system not "air mail" <g> though.