Return to [ 25 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:16:38 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

In <20060425035314-39949-7@scoug.com>, on 04/25/06
at 03:53 AM, "Harry Motin" said:

Hi Harry,

>That's because I was responding to Denny's problem, based on my own
>experience with DFSee, which is only natural. I was trying to offer
>help.

I understand this. My POV is help on an unrelated issue is not always
helpful when the person receiving the help is already on overload.

>Yup, you are probably right there. But, again, I did not know this (that
>the message occurs only if you attempt a JFS volume, etc).

This is why, rather than assuming I know the answer, I ask questions when
something seems inconsistent. As I said, I had forgotten how to trigger
the warning and your description was not sufficient to recover the lost
memory, so I asked someone I figured would know.

>And by the way, I disargee with the assessment that the DFSee message
>(the message to not create a volume and assign a drive letter) only
>occurs, if you are trying to make a JFS partition.

Then give me a step by step of how you can get the message without
selecting a JFS partition type in the Specify partition properties dialog
or by issuing something like

cr log jfs -L

on the command line.

>Please re-read my
>last E-Mail. At the time that I got the DFSee message I was only trying
>to create an "LVM-AWARE" partition.

I read what you said. You misunderstand what LVM-aware means to IBM.
LVM-aware means that OS2LVM.DMD manages the drive letter assignments when
OS/2 is up and running. The terminology may be confusing but it is what
it is and it is unlikely to change.

>I had NOT yet formatted it as JFS or
>anything at all.

This is obvious. Dfsee not only can not yet create JFS volumes, but it
can not format JFS volumes.

>Therefore, at this point, how does DFSee know that I'm
>going to create a JFS partition?

Because you asked it to. Again, the warning is telling you dfsee can not
create JFS volumes. Dfsee has no problems creating JFS partitions.

>Does "LVM-aware" equate to "JFS"?

No. JFS partitions, JFS volumes and LVM-aware are all different things.

>thought you can have LMV-aware partitions that are FAT32, or NTFS, or
>(non-booting) HPFS. Am I wrong on this?

You are mis-using the terms. Technically, partitions are not LVM aware,
volumes are LVM-aware. In the case of compatibility volumes, which are a
subset of LVM-aware volumes, there can only be a one to one mapping of
partitions to volumes. JFS volumes differ. A JFS volume can span
multiple JFS partitions.

Also, just to keep things interesting, bootable JFS can be not installed
to a JFS volume. My point is the specific meaning of JFS and LVM is going
to vary based on context.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 25 | April | 2006 ]