Return to [ 25 | April | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 03:53:15 PST8
From: "Harry Motin" <hmotin@sbcglobal.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: detecting hard disk

Content Type: text/plain

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:12:46 PST8, Steven Levine wrote:

>As I said in my prior response. if this was your intent you neglected to
>state it.

That's because I was responding to Denny's problem, based on my own experience
with DFSee, which is only natural. I was trying to offer help. I was NOT trying to tell
everyone what I did with LVM and DFSee and what my intent was in doing that. That
was not the objective at ALL!

> In addition, it is totally irrelevant to solving Denny's
>problem and just confuses the issues. He was trying to create a HPFS
>volume to install eCS and the message you referred to does not occur for
>this operation.

Yup, you are probably right there. But, again, I did not know this (that the message
occurs only if you attempt a JFS volume, etc). I simply got the particular message in
DFSee and passed that information on as an issue.

And by the way, I disargee with the assessment that the DFSee message (the
message to not create a volume and assign a drive letter) only occurs, if you are trying
to make a JFS partition. Please re-read my last E-Mail. At the time that I got the DFSee
message I was only trying to create an "LVM-AWARE" partition. I had NOT yet
formatted it as JFS or anything at all. Therefore, at this point, how does DFSee know
that I'm going to create a JFS partition? Does "LVM-aware" equate to "JFS"? I thought
you can have LMV-aware partitions that are FAT32, or NTFS, or (non-booting) HPFS.
Am I wrong on this?
HCM

Return to [ 25 | April | 2006 ]