Return to [ 05 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:44:13 PST8
From: Colin Campbell <cmcampb@adelphia.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Help Setting up a Router

Content Type: text/plain

Steve Schiffman wrote:
> Colin Campbell wrote:
>
>>Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router as my prize.
>>
>>When I got it home, I did some reading, checked some Windows settings,
>>etc. I tried using the CD that came with the router to do Windows setup,
>

> I have found it to always be a bad idea to use a CD to setup a router.
>

>>When I hooked up the router and booted my older PC (Indelible Blue
>>hardware, eCS 1.13), everything came up without problems. Mozilla
>>started. I tried to check my e-mail, and I got a message that Mozilla
>>could not connect to server "mail" (that's the right name). However, I
>>was able to browse the Internet.
>

> This means that part of your configuration is correct. Just need to
> work on the e-mail part.
>

>>I was thinking that this problem probably has something to do with
>>providing information to the router, but I'm not sure what information.
>> Maybe where to find the DNS? (I'm not clear why I have problems with
>>e-mail, but browsing works.)
>>
>>I haven't yet "chatted" with Adelphia support, because I have to switch
>>to Windows to do that. That will be my next step. In the meantime....
>

> No need to talk with Adelphia if you have the information they provide
> about the names of their mail servers.
>

>>Can anyone help me get started on this?
>

> The Sunday Live Help Desk is just the support that you can use to get
> your new router fully working. Bring the Linksys router and we can go
> through the configuration setup. If you have a PC or laptop you can
> bring, we can do the whole network configuration. Ray Davison
> commented that your e-mail issue is a configuration problem within
> your e-mail program. I concur. The Help Desk can provide the basics on
> what needs to be be done.
>
> Hope you can make it Sunday afternoon. Chapman University, Science
> building room 203 starting at 2pm. Park in one of the parking lots off
> Center Ave. No parking sticker required on weekends. Do not park on
> the residence side of any street.
>
> Steve Schiffman

If this e-mail goes out, I have cured all of my problems.

First, I did chat with Adelphia support. They originally told me to
call the mail server "mail", and the news server "news". The tech said
to use "mail.adelphia.net" (and I guessed, apparently corrrectly, that I
should use "news.adelphia.net").

That made it possible for me to receive e-mail and to look at the
newsgroups.

However, I found when I tried to write this note earlier, that I had
SMTP problems. Something on the order of "cannot connect to server
"mail". So, I went into the Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings,
intending to change the SMTP server name. I couldn't find anyplace to
do it!

So, in desperation, I opened the browser, and typed "about:config". I
just scrolled down until it found something with "SMTP" and "server" in
the variable name, and "mail" as the value, and changed two of them to
"mail.adelphia.net".

So here goes....
Colin

Return to [ 05 | February | 2006 ]