Return to [ 14 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:17:15 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Installing ECS Version 1.2

Content Type: text/plain

--- Ray Davison wrote:

> Every system needs a zero-base-budget once in
> a while. Use this
> as an excuse to clean house and rethink what you
> want to do.

Personally, I am unsatisfied with that option. If
there is a way to "have it all" in one unified update,
I'd like to prove it and to achieve it. This would be
something Windoze probably cannot do. (I've been
hearing some 'thumbs down' reports on *their* supposed
solutions, such as AlohaBob PC Relocator and
IntelliMover.) And, as I previously mentioned, if
Migration won't cut it, there may be other ways: a
"personality transplant" via UniMaint Portable Restore
(Harry tried that _once_ and it didn't work for him,
but I've discussed this with Jim Read, gotten some
slightly later UniMaint files, and would be curious to
see this for myself, one way or the other.) There is
also the eCSMT updating route, which seems like it
must be tedious _on this scale_ . . . and it might not
pick up the desktop 'look & feel' tweaks that have
been introduced since 1.1. But if you replace the
kernel, the USB and other key drivers, I think it may
well be sufficient.

> Also, don't replace the earlier version. Install >
the new alongside the old.

Sorry to be the contrarion again, Ray, but I've been
there and done that -- a couple times -- on the full
tower system. I'd rather try it the other way now.

Jordan

Return to [ 14 | February | 2006 ]