Return to [ 28 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:16:43 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Round 3 with 1.2R: frustrating weekend

Content Type: text/plain

{Long-ish Post}

Ever feel like whichever way you turn, doors keep
slamming in your face ? (Even though what you're
attempting is hardly an Everest climb.) Ever have
results that make you start to wonder if you even
grasp the concept of the ON switch ? Well, my weekend
was like that.

I thought I'd take a cue from some of Ray's and Mark's
suggestions, and try to get this thing happening on a
brand new drive in the Shuttle. No Migrations, "Easy"
rather than Advanced install, accept all defaults.
That way, it should become clearer whether there are
hardware issues or suspect install CDs messing things
up. But, for the longest time, I couldn't even get an
At Bat.

This is a freshly opened Seagate 120G HDD, whereas the
existing, working, multi-OS drive has been a WD 80G
model. I'm thinking of Ray's statements that once you
have a successful eCS install, you can readily copy it
elsewhere (as long as the drive letter assignments
match up), and both Ray's and Steven's repeated
mention that OS/2 -- unlike that prevalent *other* OS
-- can basically care less when relocated to other
hardware. Fine. So I set out to try for a base
install of 1.2R to an E: and a P:, which is what I
need. If those worked out, I could image them; it
would provide a basis for other experiments, like
Migration or Portable Restore. I was going to do this
with just "placeholder" partitions for drive
lettering: no intervening NTFS partitions to jump
over, which may have been confusing the installer, or
LVM, or something.

I partitioned only out to E. Had to try this several
times, using either DFSEE or Partition Magic (v. 6).
Each time, I could not get past the same (early) error
message from the eCS installer: "Disk 0 Reports
Partition Table is Corrupt." This seems to be an
absolute barrier to doing *anything* further with the
installer CD. And I couldn't fix this either --
although I tried doing so with DFSEE -- so, after each
of these attempts I wiped the drive before trying
again. Perhaps you will tell me that the option to
just nuke the MBR *without* saving any partitions
would be sufficient, not to mention a huge time saver
. . . but I didn't want to leave *anything* behind
that could be a "tripping hazard" for the next
atttempt. As you can imagine, this repeated process
was not a whole lot of fun, and I was getting nowhere.

O.K. so you wanna play hardball ? For the last
go-'round, I decided to skip the pre-partitioning and
just try this with a straight install to C: . . . even
though I don't want this to be on C:. That finally
worked. So now I get to see what a presumably full
and finalized install of 1.2R looks like. SNAP went
on. I think Peer went on, though I have no idea how
to go about testing this. The Internet, Network, etc.
folders look like they might be fully populated this
time. That's the good news, although there is nothing
much I intend to do with this install, other than
count it as practice.

The bad news is that something is still seriously
messed up HDD-wise. C: is a 2G HPFS partition, and
shows as such in LVM and DFSEE, yet DIR or CHKDSK show
it has 526M worth of contents with only about 44M of
freespace remaining ! There is some surrounding
gobbledygook I wrote down from one of the DFSEE
reports, but the parts that look meaningful *to me*
are:

Total Errors / Warnings Detected: 2
-- Incorrect Checksum Value (HPFS SpareBlock)
-- Filesize in Fnode Smaller than in Dir Entry

Can I fix this, and if so How ? I'd like to get it
fixed before trying any further installs to later
Partitions / Drive Letters, because I don't want to
build a hotel on top of a sand dune, if you know what
I mean. Steven, I'm hoping you can offer a specific
"Do A, B, C, then D," rather than tell me to look up
something on Google. Otherwise, I am likely to haunt
you for the next several Help Desks.

Jordan

Return to [ 28 | February | 2006 ]