Return to [ 06 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:42:09 PST8
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@adelphia.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Keeping hidden files off USB drive

** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" on Sun, 5 Feb
2006 13:06:04 PST8

> In <20060204175401.BJYS25152.mta13.adelphia.net@[192.168.1.99]>, on
> 02/04/06
> at 09:54 AM, "Michael Rakijas" said:

[...snip...]

> "WP ROOT. SF" is owned by the WPS. It will get created it you use the WPS
> to drag and drop files. If you use a PM file manager such as filestar or
> fm/2, it will not get created. This file is usually not locked, so you
> can delete it from outside the WPS.
>
> "EA DATA. SF" holds the extended attribuites for FAT volumes. Any file
> activity is going to create this file if the source file has EAs. It
> appears that you batch files are not doing quite the right thing.

I believe that they are doing the right thing because this works most of the
time. There must be some kind of other action that my kid is using that
recreates the EA file making me go through the extended fix process. In any
case, it shouldn't be this hard to manage files on what is basically a USB
drive. (and yes, I've upgraded the firmware on the drive to the most recent to
make sure that this didn't get fixed by others' complaints).

> If I had this problem, I would post process the USB drive content before
> attempting to use it in the player. The processing would use EAUTIL to
> strip all the EAs, a file manager to delete "WP ROOT. SF" and dfsee to
> delete "EA UTIL. SF".

This was my first approach but this didn't work. Basically using EAUTIL
requires specifying the filenames of all filenames that need to be processed
meaning somehow logging all the new files that were added to the player. This
seemed impractical at best and impossible at worst.

> The result would be a FAT filesystem with not
> remnants of OS/2 activities. This would be a one-click solution once set
> up.

I'll try working this again but this is what I though originally. TTBOMR, this
would not eliminate the actual file "EA UTIL. SF" and all attempts to delete it
after removing the EAs would be prevented because the file *is* locked (by
another process, it says). I try and play with it some more but I've tried
manipulating it from a command line (DOS type include that would not preserve
EAs) and would be unable to get rid of the file. I'll be better about
documenting exactly what I did so that if it doesn't work, I can produce the
documentation.

> This would allow you to use eCS/OS2 to manage the drive content without
> consfusing the player.

I've been unsuccessful to this point but I'll try again.

> Steven

-Rocky

Return to [ 06 | February | 2006 ]