Return to [ 17 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:57:45 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: next 1.2R attempt | Moz extensions & their errors

Content Type: text/plain

> >O.K., I just tested trying to install both Cookie
> >Toggle and the Cookie Button suite on one of my two
> >W2K - Moz 1.7.12 installations. Same "Install
> Script
> >Not Found" error.

--- Steven Levine replied:

> The message is telling the truth, although not very
> clearly. There is no
> install script for installing to Mozilla.

Uh, Steven, I think that was my original surmise
(though I described this -- probably also not very
clearly -- as an incompatibility with Moz), which I
think you dismissed.

> open up the xpi and look at the install script.

Are you referring again to the RDF file ? This is yet
another of many types of (coded or semi-coded or just
plain technical) things that I attempt to read, though
with inadequate understanding. Whatever "tip-off"
flagged this for you, I must have been missing it.

> Works is open to to question here. The script says
> it will install and it
> does, but it does its best work hanging Mozilla
> here.

I did not even get that far, because its management
box looked to me like a quick & dirty duplication of
the built-in Cookie Mgr., with maybe a couple of extra
options added, and did not appear to offer what I was
looking for.

> >I was looking for something I could
> >toggle on-the-fly, per site, with fewer keystrokes
> >than using Cookie Mgr. OR, being able to set
> specific
> >cookie acceptance rules in advance, per site.
>
> What you are asking for is called SeaMonkey or
> Mozilla.

Yes, if I knew where to access these features. I
*can* do it the long way via going in & out of Cookie
Mgr., but I was looking for something much quicker &
easier.

> Setting per site rules in advance is a bit more than
> a couple of
> keystrokes because you have to supply a url.
> Setting the per site rules
> at first time the site shows up is at most two
> clicks with the suite.

I had thought that the only thing at all like this was
"Cookies Based on Privacy Settings" in Cookie Mgr.,
and _that_ does not get site-specific. But now I see
the 2nd. Tab, for Sites, which I must have passed by
many times without noticing it. It looks like that
might be the ticket, so I'll try it. Hopefully these
rules will override even when "Block Cookies" is in
effect, as that is my preferred default.

Jordan

Return to [ 17 | February | 2006 ]