Return to [ 24 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:19:18 PST8
From: J.Pfisterer <pfisterer@gtcinternet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Acronyms, etc.

Content Type: text/plain

WRT (see below) the recent spate of acronyms on this list and in the
interest of adding to the collective wisdom of its members, here's an
extensive, old (c.1995) listing of acronyms and symbols I had
forgotten that I had. =20

Please note that I make no representation concerning value, accuracy,
relevancy, completeness or tastefulness ;) (see below).

Jack P.

AA Alcoholics Anonymous
AAA Travel club
ADN Any Day Now
AFAIK As Far As I Know
AWGTHTGTTA? Are We Going To Have To Go Through This Again? B4N =
=20
Bye for Now
BAD Broken as Designed
BBR Burnt Beyond Repair
BBS Bulletin Board System
BIOYIOP Blow It Out Your I/O Port
BRB Be Right Back
BRS Big Red Switch
BTA But Then Again (in response to IOW)
BTW By The Way
BWQ Buzz Word Quotient
CU See you
CUL See you Later
CUL8R See you Later
DIIK Dern If I Know
DILLIGAC? Does It Look Like I Give A Crap-?
DL or D/L Download, transmit to you
DTP DeskTop Publishing
DTRT Do The Right Thing
DWIMC Do What I Mean, Correctly
EOT End Of Thread (i.e., don't reply to this message) ES&D =
=20
Eat S- and Die
ETLA Extended Three Letter Acronym
FISH First In, Still Here
FITB Fill In The Blank_________
FOAF Friend of A Friend
FOOBAR Variant of FUBAR (q.v.)
FOS Freedom Of Speech. Also Full Of S-
FRED F-ing Ridiculous Electronic Device
FUD Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
FURTB Full up ready to burst (about hard disk drives!) FWIW =
=20
For What It's Worth
FY&TSYRIO F- You And The Sysop You Rode In On
FYI For Your Information
G Grin (as in )
GAFIA Get Away From It All (as in drop out of ILink for a
bit) gd&r grinning, ducking and running
gd&rf grinning, ducking and running FAST!
gd&rvvf grinning, ducking and running VERY VERY FAST! gd&w =
=20
grinning, ducking and weaving
GFR Grim File Reaper (pervasive data destroyer) GH =20
Getting Hard (q.v. GW)
GIGO Garbage In, Garbage Out
GIWIST Gee, I Wish I'd Said That
GLGH Good Luck and Good Hunting
GMTA Great Minds Think Alike
GW Getting Wet (q.v. GH)
IAC In Any Case
IAE In Any Event
IANAL I Am Not A Lawyer
IC I See
IDTT I'll Drink To That!
IITYWIMIWHTKY If I tell you what it means, I will have to kill you
IITYWIMWYBMAD If I tell you what it means, will you buy me a drink?
ILY I Love You
IMAO In My Arrogant Opinion
IMCO In my considered opinion
IMHO In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO In My Not So Humble Opinion
IMO In My Opinion
IMOBO In My Own Biased Opinion
INPO In No Particular Order
IOW In Other Words
IWBNI It Would Be Nice If
IYFEG Insert Your Favorite Ethnic Group
JIC Just In Case
JSNM Just Stark Naked Magic
JTYWTK Just Thought You Wanted To Know
KMYF Kiss Me You Fool
L8R Later
LAB&TYD Life's A Beach & Then You Die.
LLTA Lots and Lots of Thunderous Applause
LMAO Laughing My Ass Off
LMWIS Lick Me Where I Sweat
LOL Laughing Out Loud
MLA Multiple Letter Acronym
MOTAS Member of the Appropriate Sex
MOTOS Member of the Opposite Sex
MOTSS Member of the Same Sex
NSS No S-, Shylock
OIC Oh, I See
OOTC Obligatory On Topic Comment
OTF On the Floor
OTOH On The Other Hand
OTTH On the third hand
PABG Pack a Big Gun
PCYLIHOONL Please Cross Your Legs, I Have Only One Nail Left PITA =
=20
Pain In The Ass
PLOKTA Press Lots Of Keys To Abort
PMBI Pardon my butting in
PMFBI Pardon Me For Butting In
POSSLQ Person of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters POV =
=20
Point Of View
PTB Powers that be
RE Regarding
ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLAHMS Rolling On The Floor Laughing And Holding My Side RPG =
=20
Role Playing Games
RSN Real Soon Now
SFLA Stupid Four Letter Acronym
SIG Special Interest Group
SMO Serious Mode On
SMOP Small Matter of Programming
SMOff Serious Mode Off
SO Significant Other
SOB Do you really need *me* to explain this one? SPAM =
=20
SPiced hAM. Hormel's canned meat.
ST-TNG Star Trek, The Next Generation
ST-TOS Star Trek, The Original Series
STI/ST-TMP Star Trek, first movie/The Motion Picture STII/ST-WOK =20
Star Trek, second movie/'Wrath of Khan'
STIII/ST-SFS Star Trek, third movie/'Search for Spock' STIV/ST-TVH =20
Star Trek, fourth movie/'The Voyage Home'
STV/ST-TFF Star Trek, fifth movie/'The Final Frontier'
STVI/ST-TUC Star Trek, sixth movie/'The Undiscovered Country'
SWMBO She Who Must Be Obeyed
SYSOP SYStem OPerator
TAFN That's All For Now
TANJ There Ain't No Justice
TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch TDM =20
Too Damn Many
TGIF Thank God Its Friday
TIA Thanks In Advance
TLA Three Letter Acronym
TLG The Living God
TPTB The Powers That Be
TSJD Texas Size Jelly Donut - official food of Texas sysops
TSR Terminate and Stay Resident program
TTBOMK To The Best Of My Knowledge
TTFN Ta-Ta For Now
TTL4N That's The Lot For Now
TTUL Talk (or Type) To You Later
UAE Unrecoverable application error (Bane of Windows'
users!) UL or U/L Upload, send to the BBS
WFM Works For Me
WIMP Windows, Icons, Mouse, Pointing
WOFTAM Waste Of Flaming Time And Money
WRT With Regard To
WYGIWYPF What You Get Is What You Pay For
WYSIWYG What You See Is What You Get
YABA Yet Another Bloody Acronym
YMMV Your Mileage May Vary.

EXPRESSIONS

*blush*

*hug*
*kiss*

(tm)

EMOTICONS (selected)

emoticon: n. a figure created with the symbols on a keyboard that
is
usually read with the head tilted to the left. Used to
convey the spirit in which a line of text was typed.

:) :-) :> Smiling, happy faces; don't take me too seriously
;) ;-) ;> Winking happy faces (something said tongue-in-cheek)
B-) Smiling face from a person wearing glasses 8-) =20
Smiling face with a wide-eyed look
:D :-D Wider happy face (or Mistrel singers)
:-o "Oh, nooooooo!" (a la Mr. Bill)
:-( Sad or disappointed face
:-P Tongue stuck out
:-J Tongue in cheek
:-# Message concerning something that shouldn't have been
:-$ Message indicating person is ill...
:-& Message indicating person is angry...
:-* Kiss...
:-x Kiss kiss
:-(=3D) Message from a person with big teeth.
<:-) Dumb questions
|-( Late night messages
:^) From a person with a large nose
:*) Clowning around
:-{#} From a person with braces
&:-) From a person with curly hair
@:-) From a person with wavy hair
#:-) From a person with matted hair
O:-) Angel
C=3D:-) Chef
;-)} Corporate-type guy (see the necktie?)
:-) )-: Masking theatrical comments
:-|K- Formal message.
<:>=3D=3D A turkey
...---... S.O.S.
O=1B=A1=7FO A guy is mooning you
O:O A girl is mooning you
@*&$!% You know what that means...
2B|^2B Message about Shakespeare
(O--< A fishy message...
(-_-) Secret smile
(.)(.) Ms. Dos
()x() Ms. Dos with "Cross Your Heart" Bra

Return to [ 24 | February | 2006 ]