Return to [ 17 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:20:38 PST8
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: eBook.pdf

In <43F3DED7.5010803@adelphia.net>, on 02/15/06
at 06:09 PM, Colin Campbell said:

>Because most e-mails that reach us on Scoug-Help seem to be from the
>person who is shown as the sender. I just didn't think about the
>exception condition, although I should have, because Rocky's notes are
>not so cryptic. Apologies to Rocky.

Not a problem. It was just a note to convince you and others to think
about what was really going on. Just because most of us use eCS/OS2 most
of the time does not mean we can get away by ignoring what's going on in
the way of threats.

>So, now I'm pretty sure that the "From:" name was spoofed, or whatever
>the term is.

That's the term that is usually used.

>Now, why am I assuming that the note I'm replying to is from Steven?
>from user-vcaun6u.dsl.mindspring.com ([216.175.92.222] helo=slamain) by
>pop-satin.atl.sa.earthlink.net with smtp (Exim 3.36 #10)
>(Does this prove anything? At least I see "earthlink" in there.)

You shouldn't assume anything. Instead, you should take the entire
message in context and decide if it makes sense to conclude that I was the
actual sender.

>And, while we're at it, how do I know that I sent the note attributed to
>me? from [192.168.1.100] (really [24.55.55.12]) by mta11.adelphia.net
> (InterMail vM.6.01.05.02 201-2131-123-102-20050715) with ESMTP
>(I guess that is good; I haven't looked too hard before. Again, I see
>my ISP named.)

You don't know for sure, but it is some positive evidence.

There are several methods of ensuring you are talking to who you think you
are talking to. PGP is one method. It can provide both authentication
and encryption. There's also S-MIME which can provide the same
functionality. I will say that I find S-MIME annoying. The digital
signatures are often long than the e-mails.

Now you have some more Google fodder.

>There's some question whether I understand what's going on, no doubt.

Agreed.

>I just went to adelphia.net, logged in, and chose "My Account". I'm
>pretty certain that I told adelphia.net to scan for Spam, but I cannot
>find that setting anywhere I look. I also do not see a choice to have
>adelphia.net scan for viruses. Looks like I'll have to use thier
>Support Chat feature.

That's what it is there for :-)

>Colin (he of the red face)

To much sun?