Return to [ 24 | February | 2006 ]

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:30:51 PST8
From: J.Pfisterer <pfisterer@gtcinternet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Computer for eCS

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:23:58 PST8, J R FOX wrote:
>--- "J.Pfisterer" wrote:
>
>> Well, despite not being able to try the demo disk,
>
>Why not. It's a simple d/l. If you are temporarily
>without any computer, and reside in the U.S., one of
>us could burn you a copy of the demo and drop it in
>the mail. I'll even volunteer for this.

Thanks, Jordan; but I already have the disk. The store didn't have
the computer for me to try it on.

>> because of the Compaq name and the Intel processor--since I was
>> burned by the previous non-Intel one.
>
>Since I don't think Cyrix is in the 'biz anymore, you
>must be referring to an AMD.

No, it's a Cyrix. I've been trying to make it work for a long time.

>tell us (in detail) what the problems were ?

It's been a while since my last try so I'm hazy on the details; but
the essence is that every attempt to install eCS aborted immediately
with no error messages or other clues. After a futile exchange of
messages with the eCS folk, I finally concluded that eCS could not
work with the Cyrix processor, although they seemed unwilling to
admit it.

Then Steven Levine wrote:
>Generally Compaqs work OK. I recommend you post a query on the OS2HW
>Yahoo group. It's got more members than this group and perhaps
>someone has already done the lab work.
>
>Also, you can always try to arrange to be able to return to system if
>it does not meet your needs. You are out some time, but no money.

Probably should have tried OS2HW; but now I'll just see what I can do
with the beast. I'll have 14 days in which to try it and if
necessary return it. I'll bet I'll be out some money too.

and Ray Davison wrote:

>In my experience it is a big jump from the demo working to getting a
>functional system. I have become so spoiled by Dani, Snap and
>uniaudio that I now just assume the MB, video and sound will work.
>But, I have MBs that it will run on that I have never gotten it to
>install on. But that has never been a show stopper for me; I just
>install it where it is possible and then copy it to where I want it.
>And then there is the system where it can't find the mouse or KB.

I'm also concerned about the modem. The specs don't mention it, so
it may be one of the cursed Winmodems :(

And finally Gary Granat ggranat@earthlink.net remarked:
>About two years ago, I assembled a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus "barebones"
>system from TigerDirect. I've been using AMD processors for a number
>of years, and the Dragon is no exception in this regard: Athalon
>(Barton core, I think) running at 1.1Ghz. The processor has never
>even threatened to run "hot". ...

That's good to hear. I replaced the Intel processor in my old (Warp
4) system with an AMD some years ago and it has worked well. So I
was hoping that someone might have had good experience with eCS on
an AMD. If the box I'm trying now doesn't work out, I'll be glad to
have AMD as an option.

Thanks, all! Stay tuned for further developments :)

Jack P.

Return to [ 24 | February | 2006 ]