Return to [ 12 | January | 2006 ]

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:11:14 PST8
From: "Mark Abramowitz" <marka@relaypoint.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Z60t twists and turns on the road to onboard EVDO

At last night's online help desk, Steven and I continued our exploration
of the Z60t, and getting the EVDO to work under eComstation (OS/2). It
was time to pull out the debugger again, as we did with the EVDO card on
the ThinkPad 770X.

There was twist this time - no serial port on the Z60t, except for the
modem. And the debugger setup we had last time used the serial port to
connect my ThinkPad with my desktop machine. Steven came up with a Plan
B. The IR port would also work. Though drivers have been available, I
had never set up the IR on my ThinkPad 770X.

I decided to start by trying to get the Z60t up and running with the
latest IR drivers, after both enabling the IR port in the BIOS, and
turning on configuration settings in there, too.

Unfortunately, after much time several traps, hangs, etc., we still were
not able to do so.

However, today I was able to get the IR drivers loaded in my ThinkPad
using the ps2.exe configuration utility. Whether the IR port works is
another thing, but the drivers appeared to load, and show up in the
Hardware manager.

I also tried the ps2.exe utility in the Z60t (they were zipped in a
*Windows* self-extracting file - how stupid - so I had to use odin to gain
access), but it refused to load on the machine.

This raises another, more general eCS question: if the debugger will
usually require a serial or IR port, and serial ports on laptops are
disappearing, should it become a priority of Serenity to develop a
debugger that does not have this limitation?

Return to [ 12 | January | 2006 ]