Return to [ 24 | January | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:19:24 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Num Lock On....Where?

Content Type: text/plain

--- Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> I have a Northgate keyboard with the function keys
> on the left and a
> numeric keypad on the right, with a pad of arrows,
> etc., between the
> numeric keypad and the regular keys.

So do I. A model 102. It used to be a spare -- my
backup -- but the original NGT finally developed
serious problems after 12 ++ years of service, and
this one took over. I have since bought an Avant
Stellar (the successor to NGT -- basically the same
design and key feel, based on the NGT molds, with some
enhanced features, but on the pricey side) to be the
new "understudy."

> I almost never
> use the top row
> numbers. (It still has the WordPerfect functions
> printed on the function
> keys.)

I do sometimes use the top # row, but am more likely
to just turn on the NumLock key when *needed* and use
the Num Pad keys. This NGT does *not* have the
duplicate row of function keys horizontally along the
top, but the Avant Stellar does.

> How might ConfigTool help me to find out how to set
> the num lock on?

Though it can be used to sort and even edit your
CONFIG.SYS, I prefer to do that myself by hand. For
me, its main virtue is as a sort of graphical
dictionary | thesaurus | database that covers most of
what is IN your Config.Sys. That is, you can scroll
down line by line, and it will explain to you what
that line means, and what different options the
command on that line can set. It's a pretty damn good
"Answer Man" for understanding and managing your
Config.Sys file.

I'm not sure if there is a later version, but the one
I have is v. 1.30. You should be able to find it on
Hobbes. There may also be an update archive for that
version. The database of OS/2 stuff it uses has been
updated periodically.

Jordan

Return to [ 24 | January | 2006 ]