Return to [ 12 | June | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:38:24 -0700
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Can I recover an OpenOffice text document?

Content Type: text/plain

I advocate setting the auto-save option interval in inverse
proportion to one's frustration tolerance and typing skills.

Since both of mine are so distressingly low, my auto-save interval
should be set to nanoseconds. Hard disks these days are pretty
fast and a decent write cache makes it nearly transparent
(to my poor typing skills).

Additionally, I long ago got in the habit of hitting CTRL-S every
time I pause. The eight-bit micros (8080 Intel MDS machines)
that I learned on (nearly three decades ago!) were incredibly
crash-prone.

I also prefer to break up large documents into smaller pieces,
at least initially, assembling the final result from the components
only towards the end of the task. This can speed auto-save and
limit crash consequences.

Your mileage might vary -- I sure hope it's better....
I know this is small consolation to your present predicament,
but everyone reading this message has been there before,
repeatedly. ;-(

-- Steve

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On 6/8/06, J R FOX wrote, in part:
>--- Colin wrote:
>> I had not saved the file, nor had I set an
>> AutoSave option.
>> Is there a way to get that information back?
>
>Probably not. I've had this happen -- with other
>app.s -- every once in a while, and it's a PITA for
>sure. But a lot of app.s have an AutoSave feature.
>My circa-very-early-'90s DOS word processor has it.
>
>I must admit that I almost never turn it on, though,
>as its functioning provides a brief but noticeable
>pause and distraction. So, that choice is all on me.
>
>However, certain types of crashes or mishaps with that
>program (quite rare) are likely to throw off some sort
>of temp file with an obvious gibberish name, and this
>has been a semi-salvation in some cases. > Jordan

Return to [ 12 | June | 2006 ]