Return to [ 12 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:13:18 PST8
From: mepe@northpole-net.net
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: whadya know about USB?

Help!

I'm trying (after not bothering for lo these many years) to get USB working on my laptop. I'm only interested right now in mass storage: a 128M sansdisk and an Olympus D-395 camera.

"The facts, ma'am:"

Toshiba Tecra 8000
USB works fine under Windoze XP (at least with the devices I care about)

hcimonit reports: You have 1 PCI USB UHCI host contrller(s)

The relevant config.sys lines:

BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS /V
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS /REQ:USBUHCD$ /V
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS /V
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /V

On bootup I get the following messages:

USBUHCD.SYS: UHCI Compliant USB Host Controller driver v.1.1 loaded
USBHUCD.SYS: PCI slot 0, I/O base = ??>0h, interrupt = 11
USBD.SYS: USBD driver v.1.1 loaded
USBHID.SYS: USB Human Interface Device Class driver v.1.1 loaded
USBMSD.ADD: USB Mass Storage Device Class driver v2.0 loaded

BIOS offers only limited options:

USB Legacy Emulation= Enabled/Disabled
Device Config. = Setup by OS/All Devices

I tried all four combinations; same results all the time:

Basically, neither the camera nor the sansdisk shows up in the drives folder; "Refresh Removeable Media" jumps CPU usage to 92% (for a long time), but doesn't turn up any new drives.

If anybody has any ideas at all, I'm eager to have 'em.

Thanks.

--
__

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam:

Michael E. Ehinger

When you look back... on your love affairs... what
you really find out is that the only person you really
go to bed with is yourself.
__Shirley Maclaine

The greatest general is he who makes the fewest
mistakes.
__Napoleon Bonaparte

St. Michael, the Archangel,
Defend us in battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
By the Power of God,
Thrust into Hell Satan and all wicked spirits
Who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Mary Immaculate,
Queen and Protectoress of the United States,
Pray for us.

Our Lady of Guadalupe,
Empress of America and Protrectoress of the unborn,
Pray for us.

St. Gabriel, the Archangel,
Patron and Protector of the Muslim peoples,
Pray for us all.

Return to [ 12 | March | 2006 ]