Return to [ 01 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 10:24:36 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Round 3 with 1.2R: frustrating weekend

Content Type: text/plain

--- SYNass i-lists wrote:

> In your long-ish post I notice important conflicting
> aspects:
>
> eCS with LVM & Partition Magic !!!

Hi Svobi,

In those particular cases, PM was used *first* (prior
to even running the installer, or touching the drive
with LVM), and not subsequently. That is basically
how I prepared the 18 partitions on the production
drive that is currently in the Shuttle box, and it all
went fine. DOS and the W2K boot partitions were set
up first. When they were working o.k., and I knew I
could access all the data or storage partitions as
intended, I installed the two eCS boot partitions,
made sure they worked, and that nothing previously
done had come undone. This setup has been working
for 1.5 years at this point.

> As far I learnt and understood:
> Partition Magig shall NOT be used in a LVM
> installation !!
>
> LVM sets a special fingerprint to each partition and
>
> Partition Magic shall destroy these needed
> fingerprints,
> needed for the partitions identification !

Actually, I believe this is incorrect -- or at least
incomplete -- information. There was a VOICE
newsletter article sometime within the last 4 years
that covered how to use these two partitioning tools
in concert, even going back and forth between them.
As I understand it, the LVM "fingerprints" or other
data can be backed up, restored from backup, or
recreated, provided one knows how to do this. It
would be useful to look up this article. I intend to
print it out, if I haven't done so already.

There are some other gotchas with PM one needs to be
aware of, from about ver. 6 on, such as the switch to
using Type 0F for the Extended Partition instead of
05. There are fixes for these things in DFSEE.

One glaring omission to DFSEE has been its inability
to do the partition formatting, which PM has been able
to do all along, even though you really needed the
latest version to keep up with ongoing changes to
NTFS. I see that DFSEE 7.15 has just added formatting
capability for FAT and FAT-32, which is a start.

Jordan

Return to [ 01 | March | 2006 ]