Return to [ 21 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:11:30 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: buyng a new PC

Content Type: text/plain

--- Zdenek Jizba wrote:

> Thanks for that information. My current PC came
> from Inedible Blue.
> It has worked fine but lately the problems have
> started to multiply.
> I had to install eCS on a "new" 20G hard drive but
> with a "freespace
> wasted" and unable to fix it with dfsee. The main CD
> reader no longer
> works and had to be disconnected. I have problems
> with the printer
> and cannot boot from the partitions with eCS 1.0 and
> 1.1

Components do fail on you -- with monitors, power
supplies, and hard drives probably racking up more
incidents of this than a lot of other things. That
being said, I guess I've just been pretty lucky. I
typically keep a system &/or most of its components
for as much as 4 - 5 years (the record is about 7
years for one SCSI HDD), and I've experienced no
catastrophic h/w failures. I've had one HDD begin to
have mechanical problems shortly before it was due to
go out of service anyway, burned out a couple
monitors, fried one modem in a T-storm, had a keyboard
and some FDDs wear out, gunked up a non-optical mouse
with dust and misc. crud. But no MBs gone south, no
bad mem.

It may be that my preference for premium grade
components has something to do with this . . . then
again maybe not. I stay away from the Fry's specials.
There are some places where you don't want to cut
corners just to save a few zlotys. For example, I've
been using the power supplies from PC Power & Cooling
for over 10 years, and I think I've gone through 2 or
3 of them, never having any issues at all, but
retiring them after 4 or 5 years out of an abundance
of caution. They definitely ain't the cheapest, but
they are very reliable.

Return to [ 21 | March | 2006 ]