Return to [ 22 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:58:25 PST8
From: Tony Butka <tony@tonypaula.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: buyng a new PC

Content Type: text/plain

J R FOX wrote:

>--- Tony Butka wrote:
>

>>The latest system I purchased was via the internet:
>>from MWave:
>>http://www.mwave.com .
>>Basically, you can choose your parts, typically
>>starting with a
>>chipset/motherboard bundle, and go from there.
>>Prices are decent, you
>>are not required to buy an operating system, and for
>>about $90 they will
>>assemble and test the machine for you, and you get
>>the normal 1 year
>>warranty.
>>

>Thanks for that info, Tony. The Athlon 3800+ in that
>box -- what P4 would that be equivalent to ?
>

>>So far, so good, except for trying to get Windows XP
>>

>64 Pro,
>
>Was there some particular reason, other than
>experimental, that you decided to go with Redmond's
>latest ? Personally, I don't see where plain old XP
>Pro has much to offer over W2K Pro, and a lot of the
>UI is much worse unless you "retro" it with some
>tweaks.
>
>That was another good and informative demo. I'm still
>pondering what you covered re DFSEE and getting around
>the 1.2R installer partitioning roadblocks . . . and
>hoping I can translate that into some better results.
>

>Jordan

I got the 64 bit edition of Windows because I wanted a 64 bit solution
-- and ok, I wanted to see what it could do, too :-). Bottom line is
that if you use windows because there is software you need that only
runs on it, then Windows 2000 Pro is the least buggy way to go, IMHO.

I have no idea what the Pentium equivalents would be for the 3800+ x2
Athalon; they've both changed naming so much its hard to say. At the
moment this is the 'sweet spot' X2 chip, and in general the AMD's
currently clean the clock of the Pentium equivalents. For a meangfully
faster chip, look to the 4000 and up AMD x2's with 1 Mb of on chip cache
instead of 512.

tony

Return to [ 22 | March | 2006 ]