Return to [ 04 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 13:06:04 PST8
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@adelphia.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Experiment #2

Here's another stage in the ongoing story of how to keep eCS/OS2 hidden files
off an MP3 player that seems to barf with their presence. From the previous
email threads, the following experiment should have allowed the player to play
after having had files drag and dropped onto the drive that the player becomes
when it is attached to a USB port. Again, we're starting with a clean, newly
formatted player.

1) On the hard drive was a test folder with a CD's worth of MP3 files in it
that would be my test. The files and the folder all had fully qualified DOS
names (i.e. all cap 8.3 filenames) but they did have EAs attached to them for
one reason or another. Since the EAs will be stripped in this procedure, it
shouldn't matter. Using the WPS, I dtagged and dropped the folder onto the
drive object and they copied over. (In a variation on this experiment, I opened
the destination drive object and dragged the folder over to the opened window.
The results of this experiment were not affected.)

2) Opened a command line window and changed directory to the destination folder
on the USB player. I executed the following command.

FOR %C IN (*.*) DO EAUTIL %C nul /S

Each MP3 file is processed in turn. FM/2 confirms that the files remain and
there are no EAs associated with them. I also executed the command in the root
of the drive but no files are processed. (In the variation, I proceed to
delete the WP ROOT. SF file, which isn't created in the base experiment).

3) I then execute

R_EADATA F:

where F: is the USB drive. The utility returns the message that file
EA_D0003._SF is created from EA DATA. SF. However, executing a dir command on
the drive yields the following error

SYS0281: The extended attribute system file connot be opened.

At this point, nothing can be done because the MP3 player locks up and there
are no apparent files on the drive in either eCS or on a Win98 machine. The
drive acts totally empty.

What happened? Where did all the files go? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
in advance.

-Rocky

Return to [ 04 | March | 2006 ]