Return to [ 28 | March | 2006 ]

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:31:10 PST8
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: PMView crash

Content Type: text/plain

--- Steven Levine wrote:

> Why? Most OS/2 end-users are more like Jordan.
> They tend to avoid
> anything they don't understand. Power users seem to
> have no trouble
> asking th right questions and getting a copy.

Well, lookit, Steven -- that's not an entirely fair
characterization.

I *try* to ask the best questions I know to ask. If
someone bothers to give me step-by-step instructions
-- something I seldom receive from you *here*,
although I occasionally see you provide them to others
-- I will do my best to follow them. They don't even
need to be fresh, from scratch. If someone has
already covered it well (in ways that a non-techie can
still follow), and you happen to have the URL to it,
that would do fine. Or the 3 "can't miss" keywords
for Google. (I've missed a few times, as I'm sure
you'll recall.) Or if there happens to be a previous
Mr. KIA article that does the job. Any of the above.
What I too often seem to get -- again *here*, for
whatever reason, NOT at the Help Desks -- are riddles
or non-answers.

At the Help Desks, you've told me that from your POV,
it is as much or more about teaching as it is about
the actual help. Fine. I am certainly willing to
learn. If you provide the recipe to a solution, as
I've seen you do sometimes for Rocky, for Tom, and
others, I will not only follow it, but store it for
future reference. (That is already very doable with
the Trapdump business, because I know you've done at
least one good column detailing it, and I have that
link. If there was a need, I would re-read the column
and try it out. In the absence of some pressing need,
it can wait awhile longer.)

At the same time, I acknowledge -- for the umpteenth
time -- that I'm not very accomplished with much of
this stuff. It ain't my forte, doesn't come very
easily. Some folks have what it takes to be power
users, some don't. If I try something a few times
(like the GDIFF thing recently, for example, *trying*
to follow the instructions to the letter, which I do),
and it just doesn't work for me, I don't keep
hammering away at it, in most cases. I tend to give
up -- at least until some better insight becomes
available, if it ever does. You know, there tend to
be other, more important things that need doing.

If I'm asking badly formulated questions, give me some
*specific* clue as to what you need.

So, with various issues still unresolved, maybe I'll
see you at a Help Desk. Maybe even this Sunday . . .
if I haven't completely ticked you off in this attempt
to clear the air.

Jordan

Return to [ 28 | March | 2006 ]