Return to [ 03 | May | 2006 ]

Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:58:29 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DFSEE: not there yet for some functions (?)

Content Type: text/plain

{off topic}

Have any of you been doing much in the way of resizing
and moving NTFS (boot) partitions with DFSEE ? I've
been using the new v. 8 for this, finding it more Miss
than Hit, running into various problems that make the
results unbootable, and I'll get more specific about
this on the DFSEE list. So far, the Resizing of these
partitions strikes me as being more fixable and
finessable than Moving them. Since I am gradually
running out of the possible stock of User Errors ;-)
I think I'll be left with real program limitations or
bugs, when all is said and done.

Of course, at the moment DFSEE cannot format anything
with other than FAT or FAT-32. For all I know, the
moving / resizing of NTFS partitions (and certain
other partition types) might still be fairly beta and
uncertain. I had thought that the partition images
made by DFSEE would contain the underlying format info
with which the partition was originally made . . . but
this does not appear to always be the case. Or
perhaps some of the images I've made with the program
are defective, even though they pass the Verify
procedure.

If you might have any tips for these procedures that
I'm unaware of, please pass them along. I'm already
well acquainted with the desirability of CHKDSK /F,
defrags, and stuff like that.

Jordan

P.S.: if you ever thought some of our install and
config problems with eCS were a pain in the rear, it's
quite shocking to realize just how fragile and hard to
fix a Dark Side boot partition turns out to be.

Return to [ 03 | May | 2006 ]