Return to [ 01 | May | 2006 ]

Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 07:53:20 -0700
From: Zdenek Jizba <jizba@verizon.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Hardware manager

Content Type: text/plain

Tom Brown wrote:

> Zdenek Jizba wrote:
>
>> When I attempt to connect to my ISP, the dialer
>> stops just short of dialing. In exploring the reason
>> for this behavior, I checked the Hardware Manager,
>> but there does not seem to be anything that would
>> look like a description of an internal modem.
>> My invoice shows that I am supposed to have
>> installed a US ROBOTIC 56K 3090 OEM IN,
>> WIN p27333. First question is this my internal
>> modem? Second question what would a description
>> of such a modem read like on the Hardware
>> manager? Third question would an internal modem
>> show up on the Hardware manager?
>

> A bit more information would be helpful... Is this a PCI card, or is
> it integral to your motherboard?
>
> Looking at the US Robotics site,
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=oem#3090
> (and the "WIN" above), leads me to believe that this is a "WINMODEM"
> which has very few smarts of it's own. Most of the function is
> provided by the driver, which is only available for Windoze systems.
> If this is the case, you are out of luck on OS/2 and eCS. When you are
> looking for a modem, you should check the OS/2 Compatible Hardware
> List at: http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=os2chl
> Another signal that hardware MAY work with OS/2 and eCS is some
> indication that it is supported under Linux, although this would need
> some validation from other sources. In my limited experience, external
> modems are much more likely to be supported under OS/2 and eCS than
> internal ones.
>
> HTH

Thanks for that information. Looks like I am out of luck on the modem.
A couple of years ago I installed SUSE Linux, but my internal modem
prevented me from using that OS to connect with the internet. That was
a lesson that I had forgotten a couple of weeks ago when I bought my new PC.
That compatible OS/2 hardware list will be a big help in selecting my
future purchases.

Return to [ 01 | May | 2006 ]