Return to [ 30 | August | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:48:14 -0700
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Contemplating violence -- disk problems

In <46D5CE74.9050908@kingston.net>, on 08/29/07
at 12:49 PM, "John H. Lindsay" said:

Hi,

>The culprit:
> Motherboard: MS-K8N4-F-MSI K8N NEO4-F S389 (nForce4 AMD64)
> ATA card: Promise ULTRA/133 TX2
> Video card: ATI Radeon Saphire X550L
> HDD1: WD 160 GB
> HDD2 & 3: Seagate 40 GB
> HDD4: WD 40 GB
> 2 CD's
> 2 GB memory.
>If anyone wants, I can send camera snapshots of the BIOS
>options screens.

Assuming this

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=k8n_neo4_platinum

is your MB, comments follow

>Q1. I seem to remember a thread about trouble with nVIDEA
>or nForce hardware on one of the lists;

I recall comments, but none that really had any substance from folks that
I consider knowledgeable.

>I'm beginning to think that the mainboard may be an
>underspecified cheapie; as do a number of current mother-
>boards,

I doubt this. It appears to have high end specs.

>it only supports one floppy,

This is normal for MBs designed in the last 5 years or so. Same for
serial ports. Hardware has changed over the last decade or so. :-)

>and while the BIOS
>indicates on boot that it has the capability of supporting
>8 disks, there seems to be no way to attach more than 4.

See the link. Perhaps that will make what the BIOS is telling you more
clear. There's 8 connection points, but you can use them all
concurrently.

>Q2. Can anyone point me to a source of information about
>attaching more than 2 disks to a motherboard ?

Nothing special needed these days. Just plug them in with proper cables
for the connector type.

>Try as we might, my favourite tech and I were not able to
>get anything working on a second ATA 133 card (we tested
>both ATA 133's separately on another machine and found no
>problems with them).

Make sure you have the master/slave issues sorted out, although you see to
understand this issue. These days, the drives are generally set to cable
select and the cable does the selection.

>Both WXP Home and DOS reported (using DFSee which gets its
>disk configuration information from the OS) that they
>saw HDD3 and HDD4 as Disks 1 and 2, and HDD1 and HDD2 as
>disks 3 and 4, and WXP complained about various things
>about HDD3 and HDD4 and refused to format any of the
>partitions on them.

This is not terribly unusual when you mix SATA and IDE. You may need to
disable the SATA controller in the BIOS.

>DFSee reported no problems with HDD's
>3 & 4 nor any partitions on them.

If the drives really were formatted, you may have a geometry issue. If
so, dfsee can probably sort this out for you.

>Now I have HDD1 on mainboard IDE1 master
> HDD2 on mainboard IDE1 slave
> HDD3 on mainboard IDE2 master
> HDD4 on mainboard IDE2 slave
> CD's on ATA 133 IDE1 (nothing on ATA 133 IDE2).

>I tried to install eCS 2.0 RC1 on HDD2, but it complained
>about corrupt partition tables on HDD's 3 & 4, and I still
>couldn't format them using WXP.

I would have recommended you get the geometry issues sorted out before
putting the drives where they can be written to unexpectedly.

>However, my attempts to format all 4 partitions as HPFS using eCS RC1
>failed.

How big were the hpfs partitions?

>Q3. Can anyone enlighten me on the failure to format ?

There's lots of possibilities. It depends on the specifics. I'm still
not quite picturing you partition layout. Dfsee's query command and
dfsquery.cmd can be useful here. These can generate output that readable
when pasted into an e-mail message.

Regards,

Steven

Return to [ 30 | August | 2007 ]