Return to [ 01 | December | 2007 ]

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:02:16 -0800
From: "JonH" <jharrison@seadog.reno.nv.us >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SCSI help needed

Content Type: text/plain

Hi:

I'm having scsi problems, or at least I *think* I am. I also have a bum MB and expect a replacement in the mail any day now.

What my symptoms are is that every so often the hard drive light will come on bright and steady and it means I gotta cycle the power to get
going again.

And often when I cycle the power the scsi bios will not find the hard drives. I've tried various combinations of unplugging the power to the
drives (which shouldn't matter but I have to try something), unplugging & replugging the data cable, and removing the HA and reseating it.
I have yet been able to put my finger on exactly what of these attempts allows the HA to see the drives again.

Also, the power supply is one of those new kinds that doesn' t totally turn itself off when you power down. There is a switch in the back of
the PS to totally power it down. I don't usually totally power it down because something is wrong with the CMOS (and I did change the
battery) so it won't keep the date/time, and the longer it is left off the more stuff from the CMOS disappears.

Today, I got my HA to recognize my drives by killing the power from the back, and shifting the HA to a different slot. Right now I'm on a
backup computer waiting for chkdsk to recover my system. Sometimes that takes 3 or 4 failed boot attempts before it finally grabs hold,
then it runs fine for more than a week, if I don't power down.

Right now, I have been unable to chkdsk (C: is hpfs, the rest are jfs) drive 0, booted from the eCS install cd to commandprompt. It is
sys0031 An attached device is not working and this is probably due to the HA not finding the drives.

What I'd like to know is to try to narrow down what might be the cause of the occasional HA not seeing the drives on bootup. Of course, I
have 3 guesses, HA, data cable, & drives. And terminator. The HA is an adaptec LVM, the cable was bought new about 3 yrs ago, as was
the terminator. My cable has 5 connections + HA. I have the terminator on the last connector, then 3 scsi drives, and the connector closest
to the HA is free.

Since the Adaptec bios always displays at post, I figure it is probably ok, but I don't know enough about the HA to understand if it might still
be acting up even if it does show it's bios at bootup.

Thanks, Jon

Return to [ 01 | December | 2007 ]