Return to [ 31 | December | 2007 ]

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:01:53 -0800
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@roadrunner.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Tricky disk

** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" on Sat, 29 Dec
2007 11:43:08 -0800

> In <20071229184327.DAUT15255.mta9.adelphia.net@[192.168.1.20]>, on
> 12/29/07
> at 10:43 AM, "Michael Rakijas" said:
>
> >I removed the
> >secondary drive and confirmed that it is the phantom drive. I guess that
> >the only thing that confirms that there is a drive there at all is the
> >BIOS screen that autodetects the drive (if set to AUTO) or will set the
> >drive parameters (if asked to do so in the BIOS).
>
> >Hardware problem, huh? Fatal?
>
> Maybe. Maybe not. The drive is not totally dead. Given it's age if
> might just have compatibility issues with newer hardware.

I'd believe that except, unfortunately, the drive is probably the newest thing
in the source machine or the analysis machine. That was the reason for
jumpering it to limit it to 32 GB.

> Have you tried
> telling Dani to run the controller in low performance mode?
>
> You might try using /!BM or /GBM. You can apply these to either th
> adapter or the unit. See Dani506.doc.

No joy. Neither parameter alters the non-appearance of the drive in either the
volume manager or DFS.

> If these don't work, you could try
> ibm1s506.add just to see what happens.

Using ibm1s506.add causes the analysis machine to hang just like the source
machine did. It seems to be happening in the JFS.IFS/HPFS.IFS region of
CONFIG.SYS processing. Any other thoughts or ideas? It wouldn't be a disaster
to lose this drive but it would be more disappointing than just the loss of the
hardware - there's probably some stuff there that is non-recoverable (I know, I
know ... backup but then this is one of the youngest drives in a pretty lightly
used machine ... who'da thunk it?).

> Steven

-Rocky

Return to [ 31 | December | 2007 ]