Return to [ 03 | December | 2007 ]

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:18:50 -0800
From: "Jon Harrison" <jharrison@seadog.reno.nv.us >
To: < "scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: SCSI help needed

Content Type: text/plain

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:54:31 -0800, Steven Levine wrote:

>>replacement. That failure was the last straw for my Adaptec LVD.
>
>Which model? My 29160 has been absolutely reliable. However, we are
>dealing with small control groups, so this does not mean all that much.

It's a aha-2940u2w. I just grabbed another one this morning off
ebay. And it could be the terminator or data cable. Or even the
card slot for all I know. I'm also getting another MB as this one
is flaky, hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow (tyan 2466
mpx) and then I can put the 2940 into that one and see what
happens. There is also a cmos problem with this MB, I figure
whatever cap is in the battery circuit is bad cause a new battery
didn't fix it.

>>Now my only glitch is
>>figuring out why the CD won't boot any more. Guess I'll tear it all down
>>again and move the CD to id 0 and see if that makes the difference.
>
>It should not. How does it fail?

The CD doesn't load the bootloader when booting, it continues on to
Bootmanager.

When I had the Adaptec card in, it took care of the drives and my
symbios took care of the CD. Now the CD is at the end of a chain
that the drives are on. At first I thought it might be a
termination problem but there is no terminator on the CD, even
though it's in the doc's. I guess it might be necessary to put a
external terminator on the cable but since what I have working now
is temp then I'm just going to let it go. However it would be nice
to know why it works when it is the only device on the HA as
opposed as to why it won't when it is one in a chain.

I was also thinking that perhaps because bootmanager is on the
first device in the chain that just maybe that was the reason.
Hence my comment to change the order of the ID's (even though it's
scam I have ID jumpers enabled).

Thanks for you thoughts,
jon

Return to [ 03 | December | 2007 ]