Return to [ 29 | December | 2007 ]

Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:43:30 -0800
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@roadrunner.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Tricky disk

** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" on Sat, 29 Dec
2007 00:11:08 -0800

> In <20071227170041.ZNYB29909.mta11.adelphia.net@[192.168.1.20]>, on
> 12/27/07
> at 09:00 AM, "Michael Rakijas" said:
>
> Hi,
>
> >So, I have a comparatively recent (not quite new) hard disk that has been
> >behaving badly.
>
> Did it ever work correctly?

Yes, it worked fine for along time. It was the secondary disk on my main
machine which made it the repository/archive of stuff that I could transfer to
another machine when it became time to make that move. That time has come in
that I've been slowly moving my personal operations to a new machine. Aside
from configuring this new machine, I've been battling with a kids machine (see
other posts) and dealing with other things, so the machine in which it resided
was mostly idle until I was ready to move that disk over. I booted that
machine and it would hang/trap during the boot process. I localized the
problem to that disk and am trying to revive it on another machine. Hence my
current conundrum.

> >No drive letter would appear in the "Drives"
> >folder and it would not appear in the "Volume and Installation Manager"
> >as an available disk.
>
> What did Dani have to say about it with
>
> copy ibms506$ con

Hmm. Doesn't seem to show the slave drive, only the master (the master is the
WDC shown, the slave drive object of the investigation is a Seagate).

R1.7.4
Daniela's Bus Master IDE Driver for OS/2 Version 1.7.4
Controller:0 Port:01F0 IRQ:0E Status:OK BusMaster Scatter/Gather
VIA 571 PATA host (1106:0571 rev:06) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
Unit:0 Status:OK SMS:16 LBA BusMaster UltraDMA2/PIO4 BPB
Model:WDC AC28400R 17.01J17
OS2:log phys BPB/BIOS IDE:log phys Total Sectors
C 1027 16383 16383 16383 Avail 16514064
H 255 16 255 16 16 OS2 16498755
S 63 63 63 63 63 % Used 99.90
Controller:1 Port:0170 IRQ:0F Status:OK
VIA 571 PATA host (1106:0571 rev:06) on PCI 0:7.1 @33MHz
Unit:0 Status:OK ATAPI PIO3
Model:TATUNG CD-1216E T8.14

> >I took a look at it in DFSee and this is what it displayed:
>
> >" L-Geo Disk 2 Cyl : 512 H: 12 S:32 Bps:512 Size : 0x00030000 =
> >96.0 MiB
> >DUMMY, disk 2 seems reserved with no media present (USB/PCCARD etc)"
>
> Are you sure this is not one of the phantom USB drives?
>
> This is the normal report for a drive that is known to the system, but
> that does not respond to I/O commands.

I wasn't aware that this could be the phantom USB drive. I removed the
secondary drive and confirmed that it is the phantom drive. I guess that the
only thing that confirms that there is a drive there at all is the BIOS screen
that autodetects the drive (if set to AUTO) or will set the drive parameters
(if asked to do so in the BIOS). It does seem to set the parameters correctly.

Hardware problem, huh? Fatal?

> Steven

-Rocky

Return to [ 29 | December | 2007 ]