Return to [ 28 | December | 2007 ]

Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:15:17 -0800
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@roadrunner.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Enabling International Support in eCS

Hmmm. I'm concerned that I'll even have a chance of making this work but read
on...

** Reply to message from "Steven Levine" on Thu, 27 Dec
2007 19:09:19 -0800

> In <20071227204046.NQEC14392.mta15.adelphia.net@[192.168.1.20]>, on
> 12/27/07
> at 12:40 PM, "Michael Rakijas" said:
>
> >need for her to be able to see Japanese characters on screen and use the
> >keyboard to enter characters in hopefully standard way.
>
> Entering characters is problematic. It requires something known as an
> Input Method Editor (IME). Alex Taylor released one recently
>
> http://www.cs-club.org/~alex/programming/os2/#imerj

I'll have to check with her to see if this is going to be sufficient. Right
off the bat, it says that kanji is not supported - I don't know if she'll be
responsible for kanji.

> Displaying characters is a different issue.
>
> >At least the
> >successful display of characters can be seen in the following web page:
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Enabling_East_Asian_characters
>
> To display this page correctly, you need to have the fonts that support
> the glyphs installed. This means you need at least one Unicode font
> installed.

The unicode fonts were installed during the eCS install in anticipation ... at
least, the box labeled international fonts that is unchecked by default was
checked so I have to believe they were installed.

> >Apparently, I'm
> >not .. but what is the method?
>
> With the appropriate fonts installed, the display should be correct.
>
> FWIW, my setup is not quite correct. The wiki page does not display
> everything correctly, but
>
> http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/
>
> displays just fine.

The curiousness thickens. On my machine on which I had done nothing special,
nor added the Japanese language (in the 'Options' -> 'Advanced' -> 'Languages'
-> 'Choose') in Firefox 2.0.0.4, the Wiki page does not display correctly but
the Kyoto one does. On her machine, with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Japanese added,
neither page displays correctly.

> You do need the Unicode fonts installed.

All fonts available during install were installed. A number of additional
fonts installed during SmartSuite and OpenOffice 1.1.1 installs are also
apparently available.

> >I enabled Japanese
> >character display in her copy of Firefox (in Options) but that is not
> >sufficient (although probably required).
>
> It is usually sufficient. Does the link I provided display correctly?

Yes on the machine where Japanese was not specifically made available, but not
on the target machine.

> >Do I need a separate copy of CONFIG.SYS, one for
> >normal English operation and one for when she needs to practice her
> >Japanese?
>
> No, but you might need a DBCS version of OS/2 installed to enter Japanese
> characters.

Hmm. Currently, this is not available on Mensys.

> Regards,
>
> Steven

-Rocky

Return to [ 28 | December | 2007 ]