Return to [ 26 | February | 2007 ]

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:07:35 -0800
From: Tom Brown <thombrown@san.rr.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Failure installing eCS 2.0 Beta3 on T42p

Content Type: text/plain

madodel wrote:
> Tom Brown wrote:
>> Some progress...
>>
>> I followed some of your suggestions:
>> Used DFSee to blank the free space and re-write the MBR. No difference.
>> Removed the Ultrabay Matshita DVD-RAM & used a Plextor USB PX-716UF.
>> This behaved somewhat differently, but still ended with a blank lcd
>> screen on the TP.
>>
>> Then I thought, Maybe this is a video problem of some sort. I
>> attached my Sony G520 monitor as a second display. Both displays
>> still went to black, *BUT* the external display came back after I
>> hit the shift key! There is a portion of the installation process
>> that does NOT display on the lcd! From the point that it "hung" until
>> it displayed the SNAP logo, the lcd was blank, but I had a display on
>> the crt. Once it got past the SNAP logo, the lcd display remained. It
>> STILL does not show the text portion of the eCS 2.0B4 boot process.
>>
>> Other things seem to be working: Gigabit Ethernet, sound tested so
>> far. I don't know yet whether there is any hope for the modem. I
>> would like to get it working, but it is probably a Winmodem. :-((
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>

> I can't help, but I am running eCS 2.0 B4 that I installed yesterday
> on my T42p (2373-X41) without any display issues. I just used the
> default install. Have you tried using Alt-F5 to step through the
> config.sys to see what may be causing the hang? Only problem I had
> was that the Genmac lines weren't added to protocol.ini, but once I
> copied the relevant lines even wireless worked. Perhaps it is
> something you have set in the BIOS that is effecting the video? I can
> say that in the past when I have had similar problems (SNAP didn't
> work) with the install it went away when I re-downloaded and burned a
> new CD-R.
It is only the text mode part of the boot from the CD, *AFTER* pressing
Enter, Alt-F2, or Alt-F4 (I haven't tried Alt-F5 - didn't know about
that) and BEFORE the SNAP logo comes up that only displays on the crt.

Once the install finished, everything worked, except that I haven't had
time to check out the modem. PCI shows:

Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
Device 24C6h 82801DB/DBL AC'97 Modem Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 Step)

Do you know if there is any hope for this? I couldn't find anything the
compatibility list at on os2warp.be, and a preliminary search on Google
turned up nothing that looked useful. I'm probably not using the right
search terms! :-)>

[snip]

--
Tom Brown, Catherder