Return to [ 25 | February | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:42:35 -0800
From: "Robert Blair" <SCOUG-HELP-2lvvuss@listemail.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: [Fwd: Your Account is Suspended For Security Reasons]

** Reply to message from J R FOX on Sun, 25 Feb 2007
17:31:43 -0800

> > I have received a few. It is a virus.
>
> 1) One that would very likely have been stripped out
> by your email provider by the time it reached you,
> leaving zilch.

I will not use an ISP that does anything besides deliver my email. Filter it
and/or change it and they are history. I will do my own filtering.

> 2) Even if it came through intact, and you opened it,
> it would be null & void in our environment. A nice
> feeling, ain't it ?

Yes. It is nice to know that for the most part I will not have to worry about
viruses and trojans. None of the computers (some of which are using Windows)
in my network run any anti-virus programs because they cause more problems than
they are worth.

Here is what I do when I help someone setting up a Windows system. These are a
few things that can be done that will fix the Windows problems so you will have
many fewer problems. Use a NAT enabled router which will keep out most
attacks. Never use IE or Outlook, replace them with non-MS programs (I use
Firefox and Polarbar or Eudora depending on the knowledge of the user). Always
set the email program to only send plain text and only display plain text never
HTML.

--
Robert Blair

Return to [ 25 | February | 2007 ]