Return to [ 22 | February | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:58:57 -0800
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: kill pgm ?

In <299413.34782.qm@web81401.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, on 02/19/07
at 11:43 AM, J R FOX said:

>I think I mean f/s: the app - session has the whole
>screen, and it wasn't sized up from anything.

You can tell if you are running full-screen by looking at the control
button on the upper right.

VIO apps, like ZtBold, have two flavors of full-screen. You can maximize
the VIO window or you can run the app in a full-screen session.

>O.K., but the CAD popup applet, with its process
>reviewing options etc., is not accessible then.

There are different levels of dead. Sorta like in the movie "Congo."

>Haven't tried that, and will have to remember to check
>it out. If clean reboot = CHKDSK doesn't have to run
>at next bootup, then we're nearly always talking about
>clean reboots . . . albeit after an undesired WPS
>lockup.

Actually it is a PMSHELL lockup, but that's only relevant if you trying to
determine what, if anything, can be fixed to avoid the failure.

>etc.), which has built-in Intel Extreme 2 (?) video.
>The SNAP drivers are the same ones that were installed
>with eCS 1.2 GA, and which I think functioned o.k. for
>a long time.

Are you sure? You seem to have been having intermittent lockups for a
long time.

>It has the same Moz
>1.7.12, but probably a different SNAP installed.

You are running ancient versions of both Mozilla and SNAP. You might very
well be running up against a defect few others will every see.

>FWIW, I don't think I ever see this problem on the
>Dark Side, which also has Moz 1.7.12.

So?

>But
>there is probably no Exit List kind of deal going on
>over there, because the OS architecture is different ?

There is an exit list, but Windows has had 10+ years of on-going
developement, so few apps find a way to die in an unkillable way.

> Anyway, just mentioned that because I don't believe
>there is any hardware failure issue involved.

Probably not, but how would you know?

>But,
>what would you suggest I look for ? Other than
>updating SNAP, which I could certainly do.

I would recommend updating both the browser and SNAP. I would also remove
any plugins you don't use.

Steven

Return to [ 22 | February | 2007 ]