Return to [ 21 | January | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:59:19 -0800
From: "Larry Tawa" <laror2006@alphacat.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Treo v. Blackberry

Mark,

In <159158.16.06.15.21.01.2007@independence.carrier>, on 01/21/2007
at 04:04 PM, "Mark Abramowitz" said:

>The time has come to get a "smartphone."

This term is very debatable.

>I'm trying to decide between a Palm Treo 680, which will run any of my
>Palm apps and a Blackberry Pearl. It may be that I can sync Relish with
>the Treo, but who knows.

Read the forum at treocentral.com for the best user information on the
treo. If you find a similar link for the Blackberry I would appreciate if
you would post the link here for future reference. I broke two Treo 600s
within 1.5 years; I am not impressed with the Treo 600 build. After the
Treo 650 arrived, rumors suggested that Palm was switching the Treo solely
to a Windows based OS. Do not assume that models that arrive after the
Treo 680 will be Palm based.

As for the BlackBerry, work gave me one. The BlackBerry that I have may
not have the most advanced BlackBerry OS; thus my BlackBerry (with its
particular BlackBerry OS/firmware) which recognizes folders created via
Firefox for eComStation aka OS/2 using MicrosoftOffice Outlook Web Access
over Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, will not allow filtering in different
folders although my email by the web interface will. Bottomline:
different BlackBerrys have different capabilities depending on the
firmware/software that ones IS department supports; ie my group may not
have the latest firmware/OS for the BlackBerry.

I would let you try my Treo 600 but as I said not working. You are
welcome to see my BlackBerry but note that I have the phone disabled - my
personal preference.

So what am I using for my personal use. The Nokia 9300; the cell phone
part is C- while the PDA part is B while construction A; I have dropped my
Nokia 9300 several times including the street; still works although
slightly beat up.

Phone quality vs PDA quality vs Construction quality; no one has perfected
this yet and I have tried many PDAs/cell phones.

>I'm going to assume (though I hate to assume) that syncing with the
>Blackberry will be difficult, if not impossible. However, though I
>suspect that I won't be able to run the Blackberry Desktop app, I may be
>able to trade files with some difficulty.

Trying to sync either of these to eCS-OS/2, unlikely while backup -
perhaps. The Treo 600 has different shareware backup programs which allow
one to backup to a SD card (?); I do not think the BlackBerry allows to
backup to any card.

When you finally choose a smartphone, please post the results and why you
choose that particular phone.

Regards.

Larry

Return to [ 21 | January | 2007 ]