Return to [ 21 | January | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:58:39 -0800
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: ftp web site to server

In <1192.21.05.14.21.01.2007@independence.carrier>, on 01/21/07
at 09:06 PM, "Larry Tawa" said:

>>For brain-dead.exe (i.e. cmd.exe) this translates to
>> d:
>> cd \Internet\Apache22\bin
>> httpd %1 %2 %3 %4 $5 $6 $7 %8 %9 -d..

>What does:
> 'httpd %1 %2 %3 %4 $5 $6 $7 %8 %9 -d..' mean?

It means, I'm blind. This should be

httpd %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 -d..

What it says is pass the first 9 arguments supplied to the script to httpd
and add the -d switch option with the value `..'. The -d option tells
httpd where to find its home directory. Httpd looks for many things
relative to this directory, unless given an absolute path. Since
httpd.exe is started from the bin directory, it can find its DLLs without
the need for additional assistance.

>The obvious reason is Apache from Linux was the source on which Paul
>Smedley utilized. Correct?

Yes. It's the same source that everyone that ports Apache uses, including
IBM.

>'# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your #
>documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but #
>symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations. #
>DocumentRoot "/apache2/htdocs"'

Exactly. I prefer not to install everything off the root and I have my
own top-level page so I have

DocumentRoot "/Internet/apache22/mydocs"

and

ServerRoot "/Internet/apache22"

If this were a real production server, I would move DocumentRoot somewhere
outside the apache directory tree. The would keep programs and data
better separated.

>So this subdirectory using my defaults contains the index.html file from
>which the initil web page is based.

The is true in the simpliest cases. However, this is not the only way
that Apache can be configured.

>If I try:
>'DocumentRoot "/temp"' in httpd.cponfig with my modified index.html in
>F:\temp, failure when try 127.0.0.1: "Forbidden

>You don't have permission to access / on this server."

Correct. You asked to see the file temp in the directory /. Try

http://localhost/temp/

>Question - what are the
>partition, directory restrictions for apache?

Good question. The answer is they can be whatever you want them to be.

>From your post, I see that
>Apache can be placed in a directory ie \Internet .

It can be placed anywhere you want. Take a look at the and
the directives. These handle the bulk of the access control
work. Take a look at the directive. This allows you to map
external URLs to server side path names.

I'll send you a copy of one of the httpd.confs I use here. It's not
terribly complex, but it will give you an idea of how these directives
work together.

>Do all subsequent
>references to any files used by apache need to be in subdirectories of
>Apache?

Only if that is convenient. The files and directories referenced by your
server can be anywhere, even on another server.

> Or am I just tired?

Nah. You are just getting started.

Steven

Return to [ 21 | January | 2007 ]