Return to [ 26 | July | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:33:27 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Slow Internet Connections...?

Content Type: text/plain

--- "George M. Boyd" wrote:

> > I just got 1326 kbps down and 326 kbps up on my
> Speakeasy DSL 1.5 mbps line.
> >
> www,speakeasy.net/speedtest.
>
> George

I wasn't sure if we were comparing apples to apples.
The online speed testers that I was referred to were
at
2wire.com (seems to require Flash 8, which is a
No Go for us on eCS)

or at
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/
(various, incl. Java-based)

This yielded what is in the .JPG attached.

I'm still not sure how this stacks up, even after
visiting their results archives (see below), as the #
of test samples varies widely. They have it all
ranked by domain. That may (?) have some relevance
for me, as I'm still on the old PacBell (legacy)
domain, perhaps with their oldest servers. They later
went to sbcglobal and then at&t.net, I think. Or is
that not relevant ? I'm just wondering, in terms of
bang for the buck here.

Incidentally, a banner ad showed me someone offering
T1 for $359./ month, which may be as low as I've seen
that listed.

Jordan

["Further information
The single transfer speed-test probes for your maximum
line speed, both upload and download. The test servers
are located in quality data centers for maximum
accuracy.
Please visit the Speed test result archive, to compare
the results others are getting, in your area, or in
your DNS domain (ISP).

What is the difference between DISTANT and NEAR
speed-test servers?
A default copy of Windows will probably not achieve
your purchased speed with a distant speed test server,
especially if you have a fast connection! An
installation of Windows with a tuned (tweaked) tcp/ip
stack (normally this means a larger TCP Receive
Window) should be able to maximise your download speed
even when testing to distant servers. For more
information on this subject, see our Tweak Test page.

Technical Information
This test is a transfer of random binary data in both
directions. The test stages, it starts with small
transfers and moves to larger ones until a minimum
amount of time has passed during the transfer to
provide a good measure. Unlike FLASH based
speed-tests, our upload payload cannot be compressed,
so it gives the correct result even on satellite or
wireless connections.
Read our pontificating on Speed, Latency and the
Internet.
Further reading on what to do if your speed test
results are always much lower than you think : FAQ
question: I think my line is too slow!
To tweak your connection to achieve high speeds on
distant servers, check out: Tweaks, testing and
information"]

Content Type: image/jpeg

File attachment: speedtest-1.jpg

Return to [ 26 | July | 2007 ]