Return to [ 13 | June | 2007 ]

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:35:55 -0700
From: J R FOX <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: WarpIn is Toast, after upgrade

Content Type: text/plain

--- Steven Levine wrote:

> >The desktop
> >object doesn't work, nor does direct invocation of
> any
> >of the WarpIn executables, including WICPM.

> Did you think to check popuplog.os2?

No, not right away . . . but you were quite correct:
there were all kinds of incriminating fingerprints
there.

> >Maybe the
> >registered classes got screwed up,

> What registered classes? Are you making this stuff
> up? WarpIN is a PM
> application, not a WPS application. There are no
> registered classes.

Well, see, I thought there were because UniMaint told
me it was doing something about them. You're
overestimating my grasp of this stuff, as usual.

> >I uninstalled the whole
> >thing with UniMaint,
>
> Why? Unimaint does not know how to properly
> uninstall WarpIN.

Again, I did not know that. If WarpIn is not working,
that is the only Uninstaller game in town, so far as
I'm aware. (I hope it did not screw anything up
significantly, when I let it have a go.)

> Run eCSMT and let it correct the misinstall of the
> older WarpIN by the eCS
> installer. This problem occurs so often, that I
> suspect it applies to you
> as well. If you don't want to run eCSMT, hunt down
> all the copies of
> wpirtl.dll and warpin.exe that eCS spewed about and
> make them go away.

I don't have eCSMT here, in this well worn 1.2 (not
even MR), but will make sure I have it set up when
there is a 2.0GA, and that gets installed. As it
turned out, there were *not* multiple versions of
those file spread around. Just one extra iteration of
the .DLL -- all it takes, I guess. I find it fairly
amazing that a version of the same .DLL that is less
than one year older could trip a whole buncha C0005
exceptions. (And why do so many apps seem to have
this problem of stomping all over memory that does not
belong to them, if not for poor design ?) But,
remember, it is easy for me to say these things
because FOX KNOWS NOTHING. Just keep repeating that
mantra, and it will all make sense to you.

> >For me, this tends to underscore the old "If it
> ain't broke, why upgrade it ?" thing.

You know, when I was installing the new WarpIn, I
could not help thinking "This is a pretty important
app in OS/2 terms. I hope this won't turn out to be a
huge mistake." Things had just been going too well
recently, and I had the unshakable feeling that a
cliff dive could not be too far away. But that's just
me. Anyway, I think it is probably back in business
now.

Jordan

Return to [ 13 | June | 2007 ]