Return to [ 10 | May | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:36:58 -0700
From: "Robert Blair" <SCOUG-HELP-2lvvuss@listemail.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Questioning Internet Service...?

** Reply to message from Martin Rosenfeld on Thu, 10
May 2007 12:03:00 -0700

> I would appreciate comments on my perception that my ISP is not proving
> me with a reasonable service. I have Time Warner internet service (and
> cable TV and telephone service).

Which is why I used a small local ISP, if I have problems I can go talk to
them. Several years after I signed up they were bought out by another ISP but
still not by one of the big guys, when that happens I will change my ISP.

> Ever since TW took over from Comcast it seems that my connection speeds
> have got progressively slower. When I go to many sites, including Ebay
> and Yahoo, the connections often take minutes or time out.

Sounds like this may be a very busy DNS server, have you tried a different DNS
server?

> Even when
> sending e-mail through my ISP it often takes 30-40 minutes for a message
> to begin to upload,

30-40 minutes to upload an email is excessive. Is this the ISP or your email
program waiting for some time interval before sending the email?

> When I use Speakeasy Speed Test, I get typical speeds of 5800 kbps down
> and 318 up, lesser speeds if I use an East Coast Speakeasy site. I know
> that these speeds are what I am supposed to be paying for with basic
> service.

If that is what you are paying for then you have nothing to complain about.

> Do other people have a similar experience when connecting to major
> Internet sites? Does anyone think I would get faster connections if I
> paid for a faster service? Are there any other tests I can run to
> evaluate my service?

A faster connection will make some things faster. But faster upload/download
speed will not solve all performance problems.

You may want to use iptrace to help isolate where the problem is.

--
Robert Blair

Return to [ 10 | May | 2007 ]