Return to [ 29 | November | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:09:13 -0800
From: aw585@lafn.org
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Message from Ecomstation...?

>Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:28:45 -0800
>From: Martin Rosenfeld
>To: SCOUG Help
>Subject: SCOUG-Help: Message from Ecomstation...?
>
>I asked the Ecomstation site to send me a list of support tickets I had
>submitted and i got back an undecipherable message. Here is a partial
>sample of the text:
>
>=========================
>--b1_021b58be75052ca604ee2ce80a26fb76
>
>PCFET0NUWVBFIEhUTUwgUFVCTElDICItLy9XM0MvL0RURCBIVE1MIDQuMDEgVHJhbnNpdGlvbmFs
>Ly9FTiI+CjxodG1sPgo8aGVhZD4KPHRpdGxlPmVDb21TdGF0aW9uIEhlbHBEZXNrIC0gSGVscCBE
>ZXNrPC90aXRsZT4KPG1ldGEgaHR0cC1lcXVpdj0iQ29udGVudC1UeXBlIiBjb250ZW50PSJ0ZXh0
>===========================
>
>How do you read this?
>
>Martin

This is MIME base64 encoding, apparently something is messed up
with the the software either sending or recieving.
This is similar to uuencoding to make sure everything is
an ASCII character with no binary data.
But anyway, if you can find some appopriate tool you can convert
it back to straight text. It probably didn't to be base64
encoded being an html file.
If you can't find such a tool and have Perl installed
something along the lines of

perl -MMIME::Base64 -ne 'print decode_base64($_)' < your.input.file \
> your.output.file

(from the perl documentation for MIME::Base64) can decode it.
Python and Ruby have similar packages, and probably Rexx too,
but I don't recall the name of it.

A quick google turns up some tools base64 and b64 at

http://www.os2site.com/sw/internet/mail/misc/index.html
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&dir=//pub/os2/dev/rexx

S.L. can probably explain how to get your email client
configured properly to read the attachments.

Regards, Dallas E. Legan II / legan@acm.org / aw585@lafn.org
"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"
- "At the Mountains of Madness", H.P.
Lovecraft