Return to [ 11 | November | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:54:11 -0800
From: Tom Brown <thomabrown@gmail.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: E-Mail Question...?

Content Type: text/plain

1) I see the .eml extension when an e-mail has been forwarded as an attachment.

2)
On this machine, running eCS 2.0RC2 with Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, I have created a
rather large tree of folders (under Local Folders) and a set of 78 filters which
move incoming emails from each account's Inbox to one of the folders under Local
Folders. The folders are organized according to sender and, in the case of
computer stuff, by topic. The filters are organized so that emails that can be
specifically identified are picked off first with the final one moving mail to a
"Suspect" folder.

Thunderbird (and I believe other Mozilla products) keep the contents of EACH
folder as a large text file which is appended as new emails are added. An index
is kept for each folder, named folder.MSF. If you delete an email from one of
the folders, it only gets deleted from the .MSF index until you run a compress
from the File menu.

I can save any individual email as a text file by clicking File > Save As >
File, but this does not work if I select multiple emails. :-( You could always
copy an individual file of emails to another location and edit it if you wish.
I just keep all my email in the TB directory tree and use the TB search (Edit >
Find > Search Messages dialog to look for old emails. It's reasonable fast
considering the fact that I have about 1.5 GiB of history, and this is only a
900MHz cpu!

I have never tried searching on Yahoo groups.

HTH

--
Tom Brown, Catherder
thombrown at gmail dot com