Return to [ 11 | November | 2007 ]

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:05:15 -0800
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-bod <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Electronic Computer

Content Type: text/plain

I had a chance to work on the electronic computer. One of the things not known was if the
controller and Compact Flash card to be used as the main "drive" for eCS could be written to. I
decided to buy another controller to replace the one installed to see if that made a difference (and
because I thought it might be good to have a spare). While on the Addonics web site I noticed a
small print footnote that said these controllers will not work as a bootable disk unless a UDMA type
of CF was used. So I bought the 1-gig version of the 2-gig one they used to load WindowsXP on a test
computer. That didn't solve the installation problem.

Documenting the things I discovered:

1) No matter which of the two internal CF controllers holds the 1 giger nor which SATA cable is
connected to which controller, the 1 gig CF always shows as D1 on LVM. (It is factory formatted as
FAT and shows up as drive C:.)

2) The installer (LVM?) always reports "Disk 0 reports a corrupt partition table".

3) When the installation of Boot Manager is attempted one gets "Operation is not allowed" even if
the factory made FAT partition is deleted.

4) I was able to read and write to both the 1 gig and 128 meg CF cards via command line operations.

5) Neither the default parameter nor the "own parameter" installation methods make a difference.

What is the next test I should perform and document to continue?

Sheridan

Return to [ 11 | November | 2007 ]