Return to [ 04 | October | 2007 ]

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 03:12:13 -0700
From: "Michael Rakijas" <mrakijas@roadrunner.com >
To: SCOUG-Help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Install Help Needed

Hi folks,

Sorry it's been awhile but you know how it when you get busy. I'm pressing a
machine that's been on the sidelines for awhile back into service. As far as I
know, it was a completely working and competent machine. Here are the general
specs:

Azza 5VMD motherboard (Via MVP3 chipset)
AMD K6-2/500 CPU
256MB 6ns SDRAM
S3Trio based AGP video (ATI based AGP card swapped in to check that the problem
isn't video dependent and it's not)
1.44MB Floppy
30GB Seagate Drive jumpered for master on primary IDE channel
CDROM drive master on secondary IDE channel
Sound Blaster 16 sound card

I'm trying to do a fresh install of eCS 1.2MR and it doesn't get very far. It
boots from CDROM and proceeds to unpack its temporary and virtual files. The
eCS splash logo comes up and the system stops at the IBM1FLPY.ADD device driver
(Alt-F2 leaves the screen with the "Loading IBM1FLPY.ADD" message and sits
there forever. CAD will not reboot - only a reset button press or power off
will reset the machine. I tried all the chipset/peripheral enabling/disabling
tricks that I know to try (including disabling the cache which has sometimes
worked in the past) including completely disabling the floppy subsystem and
swapping out the video card, as mentioned above. I've always been able to get
my way past this kind of thing in the past but this time, it seems particularly
stubborn.

I'm wondering if it isn't locking up on whatever it was doing immediately
before IBM1FLPY.ADD was loaded (leaving that message up only coincidentally).
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Rocky

Return to [ 04 | October | 2007 ]